Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

What kind of tires?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2000, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went out riding this weekend and got a flat. The hole was fairly large, and I'm not sure if it can be patched. If it can be fixed I'll fix it. I don't really want to spend the money on new tires if the ones I have are still good. But if the one tire is toast, then I'm not going to replace it with another stock tire. Instead I'll go to bigger badder tires. Whats a good aggresive all around tire that does good in the mud? I'm going to go with 27" if I have to buy new tires.

Old 09-25-2000, 12:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have Bear Claws on my Grizzly. They do good on all types of surfaces. I love them. If you want to see some pictures of these on my Grizzly go to http://photos.yahoo.com/m_miller_2

Old 09-25-2000, 09:36 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info. I looked at your pics. Nice looking Griz! I like the look of the Bear Claws, it looks like you have room to spare. Ever try to fit a 28"?

Old 09-25-2000, 10:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

No I have not tried the 28 inch tires but it looks like I have the room for them.

Old 09-26-2000, 01:52 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

My pictures at the URL below all have 27" Claws on there. If you want to get a look at them, here they are. Great traction, better ride than any of the monster lug tires. (I'm counting Mud Bugs and Mudrunners as semi-monster lug though, they do ride better than Claws.)

Old 09-26-2000, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Andy,
The Cat looks pretty bad *** with those Bear Claws! I liked the pic of you spinning the one front tire coming up that hill. That gets annoying don't it?! I hate it when that happens. The Bear Claws look like they are aggresive enough to pick up the slack when you spin one front tire. How much did the Bear Claws cost?

Old 09-26-2000, 10:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Not Bear Claws, Bi & Tri Claws. Cost me $396 shipped from Highlifter.

Old 09-26-2000, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider

Oops, shows you how much I know about ATV tires!

Old 09-27-2000, 01:52 AM
Pro Rider

01Grizzly:
I've also been looking to add larger tires to my 'Cat, mostly for increased ground clearance. The stock Titan 489's are great tires, but with the weight I carry, and my own rider weight, I need something a little taller to keep from getting high centered while crossing logs on an uphill path.

My main concern was loosing too much power turning the larger meats, so I've been trying to keep the weight down as much as possible. Also, I don't want a pure "mud" tire, but more of something that can handle everything, and do a good job at it. I've narrowed it down to the Titan 589's, and the Maxxis Mud Bugs. Both seem to be an excellent all around tire, that also does good in the mud, and maintain fairly light weight as well.

The stock Titan 489's I am currently running are 25x10x12, and weigh in at 27 lbs. The Titan 589's are a little more, at 29 lbs. for the 27x9x12, and 31 lbs. for the 27x11x12. The Mud Bugs though are the lightest yet. They weigh in at 24.7 lbs. for the 27x10x12, and seem to be sticking out in my mind a little more. The less unsprung weight, the better. The 'Cat weighs in at around 650 dry, add the 100+ lbs. I carry on the front rack, and my 230 lbs, and were now up to 980 lbs, every day riding! Granted, the 10 lbs. I could save with the Bugs doesn't amount to much compared to the overall weight, but while towing logs, and the work I do, the least amount of stress I can put on the machine, the better.

Anyway, if you're looking for a generally all around good aggressive tire that does well in nearly every condition, these two tires may be worth a look for you. www.highlifter.com has and sells both, as well as several others, including the Bi/Tri claws that Andy runs, along with the new Outlaws, Vamps, and several others. You can find them by clicking on the online catalog button, then scrolling down to "tires".

Sorry for the long post, but hope that at least gives you another option to think about. Good luck, with all the great choices available, it's been a tough decision for me anyway!

Mike

Old 09-27-2000, 02:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

One word about Claws. They are true to size, just like the dirtwheels article says. They gave me about 1.25" more clearance everywhere over the stock 26". For something running a 25" tire, they would do a bit more.

Quick Reply: What kind of tires?