Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Maxxis Mud Bugs... Anybody Seen Them In Action Yet?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-1999, 09:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have decided that the 27" Blackwater XT's on the Magnum I just bought are worthless for my type of riding.
I care NOTHING about hardpack handling. So thats NOT an issue. I DO care about drivetrain weight, so Vampires are what I WILL buy if and only if the Mud Bugs WON'T do what I want.
Thy come in 27" sizes, and are lighter weight than the Vampires.. But, I was wondering who has seen them in action or owns a set.
I saw the Dirt Wheels thing on them awhile back.. they said they performed well, but didn't LOOK the part... I've seen them on a machine (at a dealership) and I loved the look..
Oh, Swampers are out of the question.. So are Bearclaws for this one.. And the Tri-Claw Magnums sacrifice some of their mud ability for ride comfort with those flat cleats..
Thanks for any and all information and opinions..
Robert

Old 12-13-1999, 09:19 PM
Pro Rider

I have a set of 26"s on my 450. 12" wide in the back and 10" wide in the front. This is my first set of this form of tire so honestly I can't compare them to vamps or anything else. BUT.... I can tell you that I love them , they have got unbelievable hookup!! hills that I could barely make it up befor I can just idle up them in 2nd now. They didn't seem to take any power from the machine either. Ruts that used to eat me alive I can just cruise through.. partially because of the wider tire and because of the side lugs. I guess all I can say is that I am VERY HAPPY with them I have no regrets (other than the cash it took me to get them). Good luck on your decision
Brad

Old 12-14-1999, 01:57 AM
Pro Rider

For what it's worth. The folks I ride with, except for about 3 of us, opted for the 12" tires (vampires). The 3 opted for taller tires and the narrower width. I am sold on going as tall as possible and not worrying about width. Once you high center, you're stuck. And, as far as "floatation" differences between a 10 and 12 inch width does not seem to exist. If you want more width of your track, you may put on wheel spacers and keep the height. What was said above about the wider tire gripping the edges of the ruts is true, but after 2 or 3 people rut it out, you need height to get you by. I was glad to see the 28" vampire did not come in a 12" width, if it was going to be offered in only one size. The MudBugs look good. I have a friend who bought them, but have not them run. The tread is a copy of the vampire and should do good. In the 27x12x12 size, you save 4 pounds per tire. Post what you get and let us know what you think. Either way, I think you are going to be shocked at what you will be able to go thru with them.
Also, for $120.00 per wheel, you can get the new ITP aluminum billet wheel and save another 7 pounds per corner.

[This message has been edited by TxDoc2 (edited 12-13-1999).]

Old 12-14-1999, 11:31 AM
Range Rover

One of the guys we ride with has 27" MudBugs on his Polaris Expedition. They seem to do quite well on all surfaces. We all have Vampires and he goes anywhere we do. The lugs don't gum up like the Blackwaters do. They also seem to have decent floatation because he is able to pull wheelies in the water with a small rip of the throttle. I wouldn't mind having a set.

Old 12-14-1999, 05:35 PM
Pro Rider

Mudmachine i havent seen em in action but i have seen em on a quad. They look good but you need to call high lifter and get their opinion on em. But they might not even carry them in their product line so they might not know. You could also wait till Feb and watch someone with them at the Karnack ride

Old 12-14-1999, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider

I ride with a guy who has 27" Mud Bugs on a 450s. I also ride with a guy with who has 26" Vampires and a lift on a 450es. Where we ride at they are pretty even. There was 1 hole were both got stuck but the 1 with the 450s could move back and forward when the 450es could not, but I belive this was the rear axle draging. The same think happen in another hole. The 450s went threw fairly easy and the 450es followed, but with a little more trouble. Then the 450es would follow me and he waould have touble and the 450s would need out help(we pulled, by hand, it us and out of the hole).

I must say the those side grips help the Bugs alot in ruts. I think they make the tires better.

Mark (the 450s owner) told me that he can feel that they took power away from his quad. I must say that the reason the 450es owner didn't get the 27" Vamps was because he didn't think he could pull them.

I am not shore which tires I will be getting, but I know they will most likly will not be Vamps because of the price.

Old 12-14-1999, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, I agree, wheel-spacers will help some, but once its rutted out, its just rutted out..
Vampire 27x12x12 are $101.50.. and MudBugs are $86.45...
These prices are thru www.cawoodtire.com
Are these prices fair? Or above average?
At these prices, you really have to make sure you get the right tire the first time...
Do the MudBugs throw end-trails straight up like Vampires? or more away like Tri-Claws?..
Anyway, Keep the info coming... Thanks everybody...
Robert
Thats another thing I'd like to hear about... Do the MudBugs have any ability to back out of a hole?...
My Scrambler will with BearClaws and Titans. (most of the time) But, That Magnum with Blackwaters (might as well be Bald waters)
Won't go either direction..
Just so everybody knows.. I didn't purchase these tires .. I bought the machine used, and the tire/wheel combo was already on it...

[This message has been edited by mudmachine (edited 12-14-1999).]

Old 12-14-1999, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider

Highlifter.com will give you a better price on the Vampires.

I never notice the rooster tails on the Bugs.
I did notice them on the Vamps because we were both stuck and I was right behind him and he didn't relize and he nailed it. Well it's save to say I got muddy.

Old 12-15-1999, 12:31 AM
Pro Rider

Mudmachine the best buy for the vamps would be national tire and wheel. The 27X12X12 vamps r less than 90 bucks there but i dont know what they charge for shipping. They have ads in dirt wheels magazine but i havent seen tha mud bugs in their ads so they might not even sell them.

Old 12-15-1999, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider

Mudmachine
I got my tires through a local bike shop. When I got them I also bought ITP chrome and black rims, the tires and the rims set me back about $610, a whole ell' of alot cheaper than HL (they wanted $750 shipped to my door) but I have to admit that I have a really cool shop that I go to, and they cut me preety good deals! As far as the BUGS ability to back out, they do not grip as good as going forward, but YES you still get tons on traction in reverse, hills that I could barely make it up before (stock tires) I can idle up now going forward AND backward. As far as the roost they throw, sorry I am normally looking forward . Acually havn't paid any attn. to that. (have to look next time I'm in the mud!)
Brad

by the way since H.L. updated their site they do have them on there but I'm not sure there idv. tire price

[This message has been edited by FOREMANes (edited 12-15-1999).]