Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

rigid to independant suspension conversion???

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rigid to independant suspension conversion???

i have a 450fe, and its one sway arm in the back its not independant, is there a conversion kit out there? that would be usefull? is it a good price, or would it be better to go with a new atv? i mean i just got the beast, its nice, but i wanted more out of it, but i'm more into snowmobiles, so i wouldn't know much about this stuff.

Old 03-29-2005, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider

I haven't seen a kit. I doubt it would be cost effective anyway.

Get used to riding it like it is. Kinda like riding the SRX instead of a XTC. They each have their own purpose (except the foreman dump truck is at the other end of the spectrum to a SRX top fuel)

You want an indy rear you have to go Rincon or go to another manufacturer.

(98 SRX700)

Old 04-07-2005, 11:38 AM
Pro Rider

Well, I'm not sure exactly how the swingarm is setup. If it's a chain drive then no, I've never seen a chain driven independent rear. If you could find an independent rear out of say a Rubicon or AC that the shaft input aligned up perfectly with the shaft output. You'd have to make a custom back half for the frame to hold the center chunk, then make mounts for both shocks, unless you've already got dual shocks. Now, you could replace the mono shock with a solid peace to make the swingarm, drive assembly one piece. Just find a local driveline shop to custom make you some cvd's. Then you'd just have to fabricate A-Arms and shock mounts and you'd be done. Good luck, but I hope you got a big check book, but anything is possible with the right amount of money. But, I've never seen a rigid to independent conversion kit-in-a-box for any atv. Good luck. I'm contemplating a 3-link conversion for my vinson, but not real sure that would be a good idea or not.

Old 04-07-2005, 11:41 AM
Pro Rider

Disregard that last bit about a chain drive. I dunno why I was thinking 450ex. Anyway, Have you looked at if buying another front drive line/suspension could be mounted on the rear? Then you'd have 4 wheel disc brakes as an option.