Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

CV Boot Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005 | 12:57 AM
Pro Rider
Default CV Boot Question

$15.00 is cheap enough! But 20 minutes and I could have the quad ready to ride. These were boots I bought from AC, so I don't know if the thermoplastic are a different duro or stiffness.

Once you have the right tools at hand and the right sequence, things go quick. This is one of the reasons why I like disc better, service. Wheel, an axle nut while locking the brake, caliper, disc, tie rod, top ball joint with a pickle fork being cautious of the seal, tip the knuckle and the axle is free. Screw the puller on to the axle, tap it and it was off in minutes using an air ratchet to disassemble. Couple of snap ring pullers for the CVs.

...except you have a drum assembly and use a screwdriver to pop the axle on the Honda.

Not to recommend the wrong tool as there are strap pullers made, but I used and old set of Snap On channel-locks that just fit right to pull the strap tight and a scribe to bend the tab, followed by a drift to tamp it down.

Dexterity helps, but it's a bum thing to learn how to do. The earlier Arctic Cats have nothing for protection of the CVs. I've ridden all the same trails I did with the AC and not ripped a boot yet. I better get a manual as ripping a boot is inevitable, on the front anyway.

Old 04-15-2005 | 01:29 PM
Pro Rider
Default CV Boot Question

I think I may invest in a set of Snap On band pullers. I know what you mean about the disc brakes. I'm going to be in the market soon to purchase a set of Highlifter discs...no more drums yes!

Old 05-11-2005 | 11:29 PM
Range Rover
Default CV Boot Question

i had a time replacing my cv axels.right front and right rear.
i did every thing right up until it was time to pullem out of
the differential.my farmer friend/gearhead, went in thier,
and got ahold of the snap ring,with his screwdriver,like a surgin
he got it out.i had no idea....now i know.
this guy can tear down a j/d,combine down,and fix anything,
anything. a little hog work trade deal........he saves me$$
$$$$$ and
i help him keep the farm going.