Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

PEP ZPS vs. TCS SCS

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2000, 06:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i care and thanks for all of your info

Old 10-26-2000, 08:41 PM
Trailblazer

87_250r,

I'm with Raychalp in saying that for the price Ohlines are not very good. I'm not sure how they dampen, but I know they do depend on haveing there sag set correctly (so the preload is right). Axis, TCS, PEP ZPS, and works stadium series all have adjustable ride height.(although the works and PEP kind of cheat to do this, but they accomplish it non the less). You can take a Tcs and axis and adjust the ride height almost limitlessly, with works and PEP there is a limit unless you start pulling crossovers out of the intermidate springs. With all four types if you raise your height too much (PEP, And Works are Limited so you can't do it as easly unless your start pulling out crossovers on the intermediate springs) you will add to much preload and the your quad the be harsh and start to bounce on landing, and yes all four shocks do have preload it just doesn't effect the damping. Just by raiseing and lowing the clip on TCS,Axis,PEP and the threaded ring on Works about the only thing you'll effect is your travel avalible over bumps and ground clearance. The reason it doesn't effect the damping from big landings and such is because of the way the pistons are matched to the spring cross over points. If you start to pull out the spring crossovers it will start effecting several aspects of the shocks, espically if you ride motocross. For instance I haven't been riding aggresively for awhile so I pulled one of the small crossover rings off my top spring on my front TCS'es,and what did this do? It made the ride more plush and it also made less of a preload when hitting the face of a jump, and that caused my quad to not get as much lift as I left the jump. This could be good on certain tracks or bad. In macon this past march the pros were relying on that preload to help them get the height (not length) to clear this huge triple. So the preload is there it just not effected till you start screwing with crossover points of the springs, that is why Raychalp ride is smoother on the PEPS (2 intermidate springs), but if you continue to ride them with the PEP piston you'll find on big landing they may not bottom, but they won't be as cushy as TCS or Axis.

anyway I won't bore ya'll anymore,

Old 10-27-2000, 11:08 AM
Pro Rider

Ohlins is a pain! I had my rear Ohlins shock converted to TCS this past winter. I needed a new line from the res to the shock since it had a slice. I had to wait a few extra weeks because Ohlins did not want to send TCS a new line.

Basically I hear Ohlins does not like to play with the other kids on the block.

Old 10-27-2000, 02:06 PM
Range Rover

I have read some of the past discussions on TCS versus PEP and it is interesting to read more. I am ready to buy either TCS, PEP, or Axis shocks right now. I am having trouble trying to decide which brand and I see advantages in all of them. One thing I have thought of that nobody else has mentioned, is the support PEP offers at the ATV National races. Wayne Morridian from PEP and Mark Baldwin attend every GNC event which I think show that they do care about the people who buy their product, and they are willing to spend the time and money to travel to all the races. Now I myself only race a few GNC's each year, but I like the thought of supporting a company that is involved with my favorite passion of quad motocross. Does anyone know if anyone from TCS or Axis attends the races, or is at least involved in it? I haven't seen any pro's using TCS shocks yet, I wonder if they will sponsor anyone next season? Having said that I like PEP's involvement with quad racing, I also think it is absolutely ridiculous to have to wait 6 months for anything! This fact alone makes me want to buy from Axis or TCS. I want to make my mind up soon, so if anyone else has any reason to buy one or the other I would like to hear more on the subject. Oh, by the way, my quad is a 1988 250R chassis with a 350X motor bored and stroked to 500cc. Obviously I need shocks that can be custom built for a quad conversion. I have had problems with buying shocks in the past because my motor is so much heavier than a stock 250R motor. I currently have Works triple rates w/rezz in the front and stock 250R in the rear with both re-valved by Baldwin Motorsports. They have worked OK for me but I am ready to move up to the next level of performance.

Old 10-27-2000, 03:23 PM
Pro Rider

i would think they could all build you shocks and other than thet you have to pick And thanks for all of the info!

Old 10-27-2000, 11:56 PM
Range Rover

I am still having trouble getting a bottom line dollar figure to convert my shocks. I want to send in my Works tripple rate w/ressy fronts and Works ultracross rear w/ressy, and have TCS do their SCS conversion. If anyone has had this done lately, give me an idea of what you paid and how long you waited. Thanks for any post!

Old 10-28-2000, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider

Why don't you just call CT Racing? They will give you an accurate price and ETA.

Old 10-29-2000, 05:37 PM
Pro Rider

Actually, TCS is no longer a part of CT. Todd moved to a new location and his new number is (909)594-3474

Old 10-29-2000, 09:14 PM
Range Rover

On my quadracer 250 (1991) I have Ohlins front shocks and they are GREAT for trail riding, there real plush and keep the front wheels on the ground over bumps,But they bottom out on big jumps too easy.I have a stock rear shock on my zuki and it sucks it needs rebuilt. Instead of getting it just recharged or something what do you think of getting it rebuilt and set up for me by Pro-action suspension?

1991 Lt250r :
Ceet seat cover,DG alloy front bumper,DG alloy rear grabar,DG alloy nerf bars ,Emgo bars,Pro design kill switch,Maier plastic(Looks awsome I put lots of cool stickers on it),Uni air filter,Shockwears,Parking brake block off,RTC clutch lever,Motion pro twist throttle(took a while to get used to!),Leager A arms ,Ohlins front shocks(got them with the quad the look kinda old),Homemade motor skid(from speed limit sign),Turf tammers on back,IPT hole shot up front,And probly other stuff to but I cant think of all of them rite now. Please go to http://www.screaminglt250r.homestead.com

Old 10-29-2000, 09:25 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks.. I need to call Todd tomorrow. I blew a reservoir hose today and need it fixed by the weekend....