Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Tire Changer and Bead Breaker

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005 | 03:12 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default Tire Changer and Bead Breaker

I was looking for a tool to change my own Atv tires and was getting ready to drop close to 500.00 when I stumbled across a Harbor Freight deal. They are selling a tire changer for 39.99 and 10.00 shipping. This thing actually works and is easy to use. Harbor freight is marketing it as portable, but unless it's welded or laged into something solid it's hard to use. I had a couple of atv tires and rims, and another one off my trailer laying around. After I bolted the changer into my garage floor I went to work. It takes less then 10 minutes to break down a tire and remount it. Having tried this before i was skeptical but i figured for 40 bucks it was worth a try. It worked so well I bought the optional motorcycle tire atachment for another 40.00. I have not tried it yet.

Old 10-05-2005 | 09:03 PM
Trailblazer

I have always used two or three long screwdrivers after soaping up the inner lip of the tire with no problems. Put a shop towel around the rim where you are prying if you are worried about scratching the rims.

Old 10-05-2005 | 09:27 PM
Pro Rider

mine works well on everything but breaking the bead on 2 ply tires on the 8inch rim

Old 10-05-2005 | 10:55 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: JustShutUpAndRide
I have always used two or three long screwdrivers after soaping up the inner lip of the tire with no problems. Put a shop towel around the rim where you are prying if you are worried about scratching the rims.
You're telling me that you can break the bead on factory aluminum atv wheels with just screwdrivers without doing damage?
I'll pay money to see that.

Old 10-05-2005 | 11:25 PM
Trailblazer

When I got my 400EX and changed the tires they were aftermarket tires so I don't know if that makes a difference. All you have to do is let out all of the air and then jump on the tire (one foot landing on each side of the rim). I am a big guy so it worked for me, but it might not work for a little guy such as yourself.

The screwdrivers were used only to put the new tires on the rim. Once you (or a big guy) pushes one side of the rim through the tire, simply pull the rest of the rim out of the tire by moving it from side to side. It worked for me. Probably saved me.... I dunno, $40?

Old 10-05-2005 | 11:40 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, it makes a differance, that's why I specified.
Some combinations are easy.
I've changed a Turf Tamer/Michell .125 combo with my bare hands.
Others are not so easy.
I've seen some that give a tire machine a hard time.

Keep jumpin', you haven't seen it all yet.

Old 10-06-2005 | 12:02 AM
Trailblazer

LOL. I will. I am glad to see that you didn't get all pissed off at what I said.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-06-2005 | 12:12 AM
Pro Rider

Pissed, heck no.
I was laughing imagining you jumping up and down on some of those more fun combos.
If you want a challenge, I've got a pair of 350x wheels with the original tires still on them and some 250R wheels with spidertracks that need to be dismounted.
Boing Boing Boing.

Old 10-06-2005 | 12:15 AM
Trailblazer

Hahahaha I bet those Spidertrac's would be a fun time.

Old 12-13-2005 | 08:53 PM
Pro Rider

my older brother used to break beads lose on car rims by driving another car over the edge of the tire....it worked

Quick Reply: Tire Changer and Bead Breaker