Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Dirt Devils, Mud-Lites, or Bearclaws?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005 | 07:30 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Dirt Devils, Mud-Lites, or Bearclaws?

I am looking at buying a 26' tire and wheel package. I have decided to get the black delta steel ITP wheels but am not certain what tires i want. Can anyone tell me the ups and downs of each of the above tires and which they think are the best for all conditions. Also does anyone with a rancher have 26' tires, and if so did you notice any significant power loss? Thanks alot for the help. Has anyone had the Bearclaws? How do they wear?

Old 11-05-2005 | 08:03 PM
Pro Rider

I would go with the Dirt Devils and you wont lose a lot of power. I think a exhaust air filter and jets would make it feel stock or better.

Old 11-05-2005 | 11:49 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

sorry i am pretty green when it comes to engine and mechanical talk. What do you mean when you say jets? I have heard about dyno jetting but do not really know what it means.

Old 11-07-2005 | 11:59 AM
Trailblazer

Engines are just glorified air pumps that needs a mixture of air and fuel (and a spark) to make power. This ratio of fuel / air has to be just right or it over heats, fouls plugs or developes nasty habbits !

Carbs use jets ( a screw in restrictor) to meter the fuel that is draw into the air stream for the engine as its running .

The factory sets it for a nice balance of power and economy.

Everything works fine until you start changing things, say if you add a free flowing muffler or aftermarket air filter. Now this balance of air/ fuel is thrown off. To correct it you change the jets. Most of the time since all these "add on" allow more air to be pumped threw the engine you have to go to a larger jet to get back into balance.

Carbs are not hard to work on but you need a clean well lit area. Most of the problem is getting to it, that is having to remove fuel tank, body panels etc just to get to it.

Sometimes is easier to have sombody walk you threw it, that way if you get into trouble they know were to pick it up from.

Old 11-07-2005 | 08:49 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info. I have decided to go with the dirt devils. (26X12-12/ 26X10-12) and delta steel wheels. Hope i will be happy with them!

Old 11-08-2005 | 05:47 PM
Pro Rider

dirt devil tires do not perform well in certain ground conditions they are very hard compound i personally have had great luck with the bear claws they really grip in all ground types hope this helps