Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Driveshaft vs Chain ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 06:31 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveshaft vs Chain ?

Hi guys I was checking a new bike (2wd) and notice it did not have a chain but a driveshaft is this better what would be the purpose ?......more torque ? or towing capacity ?........dunno....most I see in 2wd have a chain.....I know the 4wd are shafts....sorry I'm kinda new......so just learning here.....thanks for input !

Old 11-04-2005, 07:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shaft drive is fairly maintenance free, but robs a bit more power than chain drive. Chain requires routine maintenance, but gives more gearing options. Riding with a loose chain can leave you stranded, and in a worse case scenario leave you with a broken engine case as well.

Old 11-04-2005, 08:48 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Scooter86
Shaft drive is fairly maintenance free, but robs a bit more power than chain drive. Chain requires routine maintenance, but gives more gearing options. Riding with a loose chain can leave you stranded, and in a worse case scenario leave you with a broken engine case as well.
Are shaft-drives popular or prefer over chain and are these found on more expensive atv's ?........sounds like a better drive system....also have they been out a while ?.....thanks again !!

Old 11-04-2005, 11:03 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Basically chain drive is better for sport quads because you lose less hp and it weighs less, also its possible and easy to change gear ratios.

Shaft drive is used for utility machines where rugged equipment is more important than the small percentage of hp lost to the much more reliable shaft drive.

Old 11-05-2005, 07:23 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by: maddog56
Basically chain drive is better for sport quads because you lose less hp and it weighs less, also its possible and easy to change gear ratios.

Shaft drive is used for utility machines where rugged equipment is more important than the small percentage of hp lost to the much more reliable shaft drive.
As you can see, each has there place in the ATV world. It is much more common to have a sport quad with a chain drive and a ute with shaft.

Old 11-05-2005, 10:49 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not many sport bikes have shaft drives. I have it on my 250EX (a bike best suited for adult beginners or intermediate kids), which is based on the Recon utility. A couple of advantages that weren't mentioned are that it gives you some extra ground clearance over a chain drive, and if you are in the mud and water a lot, a chain can take a real beating.

The various disadvantages of shafts have already been mentioned, but the real issue is WEIGHT. A chain and two sprockets weigh a whole lot less than all that stuff it takes to put together a shaft drive! With the standard in performance sport bikes now being 350 pounds, it would be difficult to make a shaft drive that comes in anywhere even close to that. (The V-Force for example comes in at well over 500 pounds, as I recall???)

Old 11-05-2005, 11:30 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: reconranger
Not many sport bikes have shaft drives. (The V-Force for example comes in at well over 500 pounds, as I recall???)
LOL, yep you are right... The KFX700 is the fattest girl at the dance when it comes to sport quads..... But it doesn't feel that heavy when you are on it.
But I must say I agree with everything I have read in this thread so far......