Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Holeshot ATR vs Dirt Devil

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005 | 04:54 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default Holeshot ATR vs Dirt Devil

I can get both of these for about the same price. Anyone have experience with both? The biggest pro of the Holeshot is that it is a radial, but from the looks of the tread, it would seem that the Dirt Devil would track and ride better on hardpack. I ride gravel, hardpack, dirt, rocky and muddy trails (often steep and rutted) and some snow. Since they have such different treads, it makes it hard to compare without some personal input. Thanks for any advice!

Old 11-06-2005 | 06:49 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

You can see my comments on ATR's here:

http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...did/471847.cfm

My buddy runs Dirt Devils, and they seem to be OK in a variety of conditions.

Old 11-06-2005 | 09:12 PM
|
Trailblazer

These will be going on a 2000 Sportsman 500. I have read several reports about the Holehots being prone to sidewall punctures and tearing up on hardpack and rocky terrrain and also being a little squirrly (sp?) on hard surfaces. But I've also read that they hook up well and are excellent in snow. I was pretty set on the Dirt Devils because 70% of my riding will be on gravel and mountain trails, but I found a really good price on the Holeshots, so I thought I'd check them out. I'd actually prefer a radial.

Old 11-07-2005 | 10:08 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

We ride a lot of old mine roads in the Sierra Nevada mountains and southwest deserts, and these have the sharpest, nastiest rocks you can imagine. If anything could destroy a tire, this stuff would. Have had absolutely no problems whatsoever with the strength or durability of the ATR's! In fact, I am amazed on every ride at what these tires can take.

They do OK on hardpack, but the traction blocks in back are large and widely spaced, so they are far from being the ultimate. The best hardpack tires have many closely spaced small traction blocks. Turf Tamers (a sport bike tire) are an eample of an excellent hardpack tire (trouble is, the closely spaced blocks pack up with mud real fast). The ATR front tires on the other hand are EXCELLENT in all the conditions I have encountered!

One issue about the tire feeling "squirrley" is that your Polaris weighs 200 pounds more than my Ranchers! That is 50 pounds per tire pressing onto the it trying to squash it flat. That means you are going to have to run more air, and that is going to change any tires performance characteristics. Comparing tires from bike to bike, is not an exact science!

Old 11-07-2005 | 10:32 AM
Pro Rider

I can't comment on the ATRs but I have Dirt Devils on both my Grizzlies and have absolutely no complaints. They give excelant traction and a smooth ride. What more can you ask for.