Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

itp wheels type 4 or 5?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005 | 06:15 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default itp wheels type 4 or 5?

We are getting ready to purchase ITP holeshot ATR's mounted on ITP C-series wheels. We like the looks of the type 4 wheels better than the type 5's but I read that the type 5 has a "rock crusher" wheel lip for added strength. We have dented the outer lips of our stock rims several times however it has never really been a problem. We just straighten em out with a hammer and chisel. Do the aluminum wheels dent like the steel wheels and if so can you just bang the dings out like you can with the steel wheels? I would imagine the type 4 wheel is stronger than the type 5 because of the extra spokes but the stronger outer lip might be nice. Any input and personal experiences would be great.

"keep the tires side down whenever possible"

Old 12-03-2005 | 09:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

You aren't going to bang any dents out of a cast or forged aluminum wheel like you can with steel. The wheel lip will most likely crack when it is bent back.
As far as the ITP wheels go I have Type 5's on my KQ and have spun the outer lip on a giant rock trying to squeeze through a tight spot where I ride several times with no damage other than cosmetic. This happens at crawling speeds... I dont know what would happen if you plowed into a rock at speed with one though.

Old 12-08-2005 | 08:15 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Well we decided to get one set of Type 4's and one set of the type 5's. We just received them to day and they both look great. I will say that the outer wheel lip on the type 5's is impressive. I still like the looks of the type 4's better, but the type 5's are great looking wheels as well. I am very impressed with the Holeshot ATR's we ordered with them. We ordered the wheel and tire packages from Matthew at ATVOutfitters and we got a great deal. The shipping was incredibly fast and included. Give him a call, he will work hard to earn your business.

Old 12-15-2005 | 12:34 PM
Trailblazer

Here's another vote for Matthew over at ATVoutfitters. He will get my tire business no matter what. I've purchased ITP Atr's and wheel spacers as well as Outlaw MST's along with ITP wheels. I plan on another set of ITP wheels and bighorn tires this spring. They will no doubt come from Matthew. You can not beat his prices and service.