Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Big Bear Rear Axle

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2000, 02:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a '91 Big Bear 4x4 350. I recently detected looseness in the rear wheels. Upon de-assembly found the bearings shot completely and the drive splines on the shaft almost gone.

Was able to find a talentd machine shop that was able to make new splines on my shaft. Cost me CAN$150 while a new shaft is CAN$460+tax. Am still waiting for the bearings (costly buggers). Have asked for sealed ones, unlike the originals that were open on the inside. I was discusted at the way they are so vulnerable. No grease nipples at all and it would be so easy.

My questions ?

1) What should I grease the bearings and splines with to maximize their lifespan. Found some "Extreme Pressure" synthetic grease at Canadian Tire that is used for wet and dirty environments. Supposed to have superior adhesion for metal and extends bearing life greatly.

2) I am draining the front and rear diffs to put fresh oil in them. The Manual asks for " SAE 80 API GL-4 Hypoid Gear Oil ". Is there something better? Who makes this ?

This may be out-of-line but wouldn't ATF fluid do ?

All help would be appreciated. I want to do this right.

Thanks

Old 12-01-2000, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

finding sealed wheel bearings for your atv will not be a problem except for the left side of the rear axle. i had to go with the oem bearing on that side. I think auto trans. fluid will be too thin to protect your diff., also it will be more prone to leak out due to being thin.