Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

$25 bucks for a dismount/mount ??????

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2000, 02:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok this is a spin off my beadbreaker topic, but I just called my local ATV dealer (Pete's Cycle in MD) and asked how much they would charge to put on some tires I had bought. He say "mail order tires", I said "uh yea". Then he tells me 25 dollars just to dismount the old/mount the new. I asked if that price included a new stem or slime or something and he replied NO. Now if this is a sales tactic to get me to pay the extra 30 bucks a tire they mark up to get "free mounting", there sadly mistaken. Then I call another place (Cycle World) and they told me $20 (10 for dismount, 10 for mount), so they were not much cheaper. Now is it me?, or was it 3 bucks I paid at the Texaco gas station for this 5 years ago. Or is it just ATV places that are overcharging? Are they just to busy to make some bread and butter money off equipment that was paid for 12 years ago? Come on, even 10 bucks to spin a tire around and inflate/deflate is NUTS! It takes all of 2 minuets! Well I've taken some adivce and just bought a beadbreaker from JC Whitney, 68 bucks. So after 3 tires its paid for and the forth is profit, wonder if anyone would pay me 20 bucks a tire?

Old 12-24-2000, 07:27 PM
Range Rover

I wondered if I was in the wrong business when I had to pay $20 to have a tire mounted.... Does the tire buster work well? I've considered purchasing one for myself, just didn't know anyone that ever used one.

Old 12-25-2000, 11:26 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Shops charge extra for having to change a tire if you din't buy it from them. Th is the only way that they can compete with mailorder and the internet. You can buy a tire cheaper by mailorder than we can get it from our suppliers. Some places will not even mount a tire if they did not sell it. This is why some of us have bought our own bead breakers.

Old 12-25-2000, 12:35 PM
Range Rover

i already had my tires dismounted but couldn't get them on the new rims. the yamaha shop charged 12.50 to mount them for me.

Old 12-26-2000, 01:55 AM
Trailblazer

I got my tires dismounted and mounted for 3.50 per wheel. Wal-mart tire shop. That's the cheapest I have found. Most tire shops around here charge 8-12$ per wheel to dismount and mount them. Call up Wal-mart maybe they can help you.

Old 01-22-2001, 12:39 PM
Pro Rider

That is crazy. My dealership told me 30 also. The guy in the service department told me that the only people that actually pay that much is women that don't know anything about having tires mounted. When I get new tires and rims I always go to Tires Plus. I don't know if they have one around you but they are really fast and cheap. They charge me 5 bucks, plus they throw in the valve stem. A couple times they didn't even charge me for mounting or dismounting because they thought that it took them too long. Really nice people to deal with and they can always get you right in. They also have a nice clean work environment unlike most tire shops. Someone that takes care of their shop will most likely know what they are doing.

Old 01-22-2001, 04:43 PM
Pro Rider

I just got some vamps mounted at Discount Tire Co. for $3.00 a piece. This included dismounting and mounting. Go to their website to see if there is a store near you: http://www.discounttire.com/

Old 01-22-2001, 09:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok guys I went and ordered a Tire Bead Breaker from the JC Whitney catalog, I could have probably went out and found a place that would do it cheap but everywhere I called seemed not to want to do it, or just unsure if their equipment would work on "one of them there atv tires". I can’t tell you how easy it was to break the bead on the tires. The hardest part was getting the old tires off, and that’s not too hard just requires elbow grease. And like anything there is a technique to it.
Anyway I broke the bead on my 25x12x10 tires, which are one of the bigger size ATV tires. Basically that’s just pushing a handle. Then I used 2 tire big tire irons to get the old one over the rim. You have to set the tire horizontally so one side is at the center of the rim. The new DirtDevils slipped over the rim without any fuss (which I really, really like but due to the new traction I got over the old banana peals, I got tossed of my 2 stroke 400 twice, OW!). One interesting side note, when I went to the ATV place to get tires changed a couple months ago I saw them mount the tires, before they set the bead they sprayed the inner rim of the new tires with silicone spray to help set the bead. So I did the exact same thing and then tried to inflate them to set the bead. At first inflating just didn’t seem to do anything it just all escaped from around the rim. I wasn’t sure what was wrong; I had a huge air compressor? Anyway I guess I wasn’t giving it enough time to inflate, I thought it was going to be instant. So I just held the fill on and rolled it around a little, after about 20 seconds it got more air in than was escaping and it started to seat. The one tire set at like 15lbs of air on both sides no prob. The tires stated that 30lbs was max for seating the bead. The other tire set one side at about 15 and I had to take it up to about 21 for the other side, but all in all Piece-of-cake. After I deflated them I filled them up to suggested psi, 7 lbs. A OK. Then I deflated them again and put in 16oz of Slime. So after one use the Bead Breaker paid for itself and everyone after is FREE! Don’t get jerked around buy yourself a breaker if you are handy in the garage, it also works on motorcycle, trailer, any tubeless even car (but you would have to get someone to balance them).

Old 01-24-2001, 12:22 PM
Pro Rider

Becareful where you take your tire. My buddy took his 400ex rim to a local tire dealer to have a new tire put on. There was some kid back there with a mallet looking hand tool chopping away at the tire trying to break the bead. He was stopped but not until there were several gashes in the rim.

$25 seems high. Our local dealers charge $15 & $15.50 to remove & pout on a new tire.

Old 01-25-2001, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider

Just had a pair of mail-ordered Dirt Devils mounted on my polaris. I had to pull the wheels and they dis/mounted for $3 a tire plus tax. I had to take the old tires too. You just need to find a friend in the tire business. Here in Sidney, Oh. it's not hard.

Quick Reply: $25 bucks for a dismount/mount ??????