Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Tire Slowly Loses Air... Advice Needed.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 04:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Slowly Loses Air... Advice Needed.

I have to pump up my rear tire (only one of them) every other day before riding.. what can be the cause of this, and.. how can i fix the b*stard so it doesnt do it anymore??

The tire is almost new, also, and it has no punctures.

Any help would be great..

Old 06-25-2007, 04:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check your valve stem and the tire bead one of them is probably seeping a little air, if the valve core is seeping then just tighten it up a little.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

95% chance it's a valve stem or core. take soap like Mean green mix it with water in a spray bottle and sprey it on the (aired up) valve stem. If it bubble change it or tighten it. If it is leaking around the rim change the whole stem.

Old 06-25-2007, 06:02 PM
Pro Rider

I had a similar problem recently, the inside of the rim took a good hit and needed to be straigtened out because it was losing a lot around the bead. Could be the valve too, or maybe it just has a very small pin hole somewhere.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

I dont think it's a pinhole. these tires are thick as hell. I will try spraying the valve-stem though with some soapy stuff and see if it does any bubbling.. now if it does bubble at the stem, how can i fix/replace this part? (not too up to speed on tires, sorry)

Old 06-26-2007, 10:36 AM
Pro Rider

if the stem itself is seeping, then you have to break down the tire and replace it from the inside, If it is the valve-core then it just needs to be tightened up.

Best idea though, go buy a bottle of SLIME and slime it according to instructions and drive it a while afterwords.

Old 06-26-2007, 11:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

I read into the SLIME product, and saw that its only good against puncture leaks (which I dont believe would cause a slow leak), and doesnt fix bead leaks, or stem issues..

SO, what I will do when i get home, is check the tire for leaks, and if its coming from the stem, I will try and tighten that up a bit with a valve core removal tool..

i will also check the rest of the tire for small punctures, but its really not looking like that's the issue. if it is, i think i'll slime it.

if it turns out being a bead leak, i'll just take her down to the tire shop in town and have them re-gunk the inside edge of the tire.

dont hesitate to correct me if i'm wrong though.

Trending Topics

Old 06-26-2007, 05:17 PM
Pro Rider

I fixed the bead leaks on my little 80cc badger with it, tires would not come off the rim to change them(been fix a flated one too many times, rims are rusted to the tires. So I slimed them to keep them from leaking around the bead, over 3 months ago now and still full)

punctures can cause a slow leak due to a small puncture or a very small nail or screw in it.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:37 AM
Trailblazer

First air up the tire.I use dish soap and water and cover the whole tire,bead and stem and take off cap to rule everything out. If you look close enough you will see it bubbling where it is leaking. Let us know what you find.

Old 06-28-2007, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider

i agree with ozark hunter

Quick Reply: Tire Slowly Loses Air... Advice Needed.