Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Tire Slowly Loses Air... Advice Needed.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 01:42 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Slowly Loses Air... Advice Needed.

--
If you have been riding in mud or other gunk, or the rims are old and have rust between the tire and rim, the only real fix is to break down the tire (probably at the tire shop) and wire off all the stuff so you have a good seal. The Slime may work, but it's not designed for bead leaks.

GJRonK

Old 07-11-2007, 01:31 PM
Trailblazer

I put steel tire stems in my tires. They work great, you dont have to worry about them getting ripped off!

Old 07-19-2007, 06:01 AM
Trailblazer

Not sure what the slim is , but when i was 90km from home up in the mountains and i lost my bead we lifted my atv up put rocks under the front end and filled the tire with GUNK ...the can that u screw the end on to the valve , we spun the tire around when we did it then i hooked up my air compresser, pumped it up and it held... havent put a drop of air in it since saved m
y tire and new 14inch rim

Old 07-19-2007, 07:38 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a slow leak on one of my trailer tire's it was rust around the bead of the rim , an old man i had working for me one day asked me about how often the tire leaked down , i told him i had to air it up about every two day; then it got to leaking down every twelve hour's ! I had taken it to a service station where they said it was the valve stem , so they installed a new stem and cap ;the very next day it was flat again ; the guy told me it was rust around the rim and tire bead ! After quitting time he went to his truck and came back with a can of WD40 , he proceeded to let out the air untill it was half flat ; then he started spraying the WD40 around the bead first from the inside and then the out side ! Then he said let's go back in the office and get a cup of coffee , after we sat around drinking coffee and talking ; we went back out to the trailor and he air it up then said see you tomorrow ! The next day was cold and i was sure i would have hand pump the tire back up again , but to my surprise the tire was still up and i never had to repeat this task again ; the WD40 had softened the tire bead and sealed the leak for untill the tire's worn out and had to be replaced ! My friend who run;s a full service station and repair shop told me not to tell everyone what the old man had done , he said if everyone knew this little trick he would lose out on breaking down the tire;s and removing the rust from the rim's ! Oh and by the way it will sometime's work on the valve core's as well , especially in cold weather ! Have a good day to all , and it's thursday just 2 more day's to go out and ride ; i hope everyone has a chanch to get out and enjoy nature and let's all be carefull and have a safe weekend ! ..........................

Old 07-19-2007, 07:56 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a slow leak on one of my trailer tire's it was rust around the bead of the rim , an old man i had working for me one day asked me about how often the tire leaked down , i told him i had to air it up about every two day; then it got to leaking down every twelve hour's ! I had taken it to a service station where they said it was the valve stem , so they installed a new stem and cap ;the very next day it was flat again ; the guy told me it was rust around the rim and tire bead ! After quitting time he went to his truck and came back with a can of WD40 , he proceeded to let out air from the tire untill it was half flat ; then he started spraying the WD40 around the bead first from the inside and then the out side ! Then he said let's go back in the office and get a cup of coffee , after we sat around drinking coffee and talking ; we went back out to the trailor and he aired it back up to 35 pound's then said see you tomorrow ! The next day was cold and i was sure i would have hand pump the tire back up again , but to my surprise the tire was still up and i never had to repeat this task again ; the WD40 had softened the tire bead and sealed the leak ; untill the tire's worn out and had to be replaced ! My friend who run;s a full service station and repair shop told me not to tell everyone what the old man had done , he said if everyone knew this little trick he would lose out on breaking down the tire;s and removing the rust from the rim's ! Oh and by the way it will sometime's work on the valve core's as well , especially in cold weather ! Have a good day to all , and it's thursday just 2 more day's to go out and ride ; i hope everyone has a chanch to get out and enjoy nature and let's all be carefull and have a safe weekend ! ..........................

Old 07-19-2007, 04:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have aluminum rims they sometimes can leak thru the metel it's self ,had it happen ,but some fix it flat worked ,

Old 08-08-2007, 01:47 PM
Range Rover

put about 16 ozs. of the green slime in tire and you should be good to go

Old 08-27-2007, 12:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

i had a hole in the side wall , nice and big .
tire was still in great shape so put in tire tube .
works great.