Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

??Difference between Holeshots and Razrs??

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2001, 12:47 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to get 20" tires for the rear of my Scrambler. I already have front Razrs and know they work great. As for the rear tires they seem to all look similar?!?! Is there a big difference between these two tires and others in the same category.

Old 01-10-2001, 10:17 PM
Pro Rider

the 20 inch RAZRS are not as tall as a 20 Holeshot.i now this for a fact because i compared them at my dealer.actually i compared the 20 inch stock tire,20 inch RAZRS,20 inch H-TRAK,20 inch Holeshot.the Holeshot was the tallest,the H-TRAK and RAZRS were about the same size and the stock tires were the shortest.i dont know how tire companies measure their tire sizes but i dont think any of them are all doing it the same way.i ordered the RAZRS,front and rear 6 plys for mine but they havent came in yet.

Old 01-15-2001, 01:24 PM
Pro Rider

the razr's have a more open tread pattern and are a little harder compound which will last a bit longer for general riding. Holeshots are tighter and don't self clean as well, are softer, and are better suited for racing. If you're happy with the fronts, you'll love the rears!

Old 01-15-2001, 11:03 PM
Range Rover

Hey Xplor:

Stoped by a Yamaha dealer today (lunch time and nothing else to do) (Dont tell Zorro). They had both Holeshots and Razrs in stock. Seeing them in person and reading everything that has been posted made me decide on the Razrs. They are a little harder compound (sp) and appear that they would do slightly better in the mud (Due to size and spacing of tread). I agree that they are really not all that differant. Just my 2 cents worth..

KD

One other question what is the diff between ITP .190 and the ITP T9 and what is the Douglas equivelant of each?

Old 01-15-2001, 11:21 PM
Pro Rider

Kevin:

I won't tell Zorro...It will be our little secret. (Zorro, if you read this forget everything you have seen...hehe)

Plus, I called ITP and Douglas wheels. I have decided on the ITP .190 with the Razrs (20" and 21") The ITP's are less costly and so are the Razrs compared to the Douglas and Holeshots. In the back I am going with a 9" rim to get 1" extra width. Up front 10x5 from ITP gives an extra inch of offset. Douglas did not offer a 9" wheel and the 8" is actually more narrow than stock. Front was stock width compared to ITP. Just thought I would let you know. I may try and get some of those rim protectors to weld on also. ITP T9's?

Brian

Old 01-16-2001, 10:25 AM
Range Rover

Xplor

I have read some previous post (one by Quadfather if think) that made mention of the T9 rims. That they held up better. I have seen referance to them in the magazines as well. Some of the "kits" include the .190 but some of them state T9 Kits as well. I have not called them to get a clarification. Might be worth a call to make sure you are not missing something. What will this do to ground clearance? What size tire will you end up with on those size rims?

Thanks for sharing.
KD

Old 01-17-2001, 01:21 AM
Pro Rider

I have 20" 6 ply Razrs on the rear of my shee and they work great, good traction and punture resistant (at least no holes yet).

Also in thick gooey mud you can throw one hellofva roost! and in sand as well.

Old 01-21-2001, 01:04 PM
Range Rover

OK Xplor:

I am getting ready to order my tires. I am still unclear on a few things. You say that you have decided on 20X11X9 on the rear and 21X5X10 on the front. This will make the quad one inch wider all around? Lower ground clearance by one inch? If you have a skid plate (mine reduced GC by 3/4 ") ground clearnace will be reduced to 4" or a little less. Do you view that as a problem? The smaller diameter rear tire will give you more tire spin but reduce top speed a little. Any idea how much? What about a front or rear sprocket change? Then what tire do you get when it comes time to order paddles for the SL trip? Have you found anything one the T9's from ITP vs Douglas. What drove your ITP decision? Give me some advice, thoughts, or opionions (sp?). Anyone.....

I know lots of questions with no answers...
KD

Old 01-21-2001, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider

Kevin, Just went out to the garage and took some measurements.I have exactly 5 1/2" under the rear chain guard. The chain guard goes about 1/2" lower than the chain. I want the ITP aluminum wheels because they have a wider stance than Douglas. The rear rims are 9x9 with 20x11x9 Razrs. Since I now have 22x12x10 Bearclaws I will automatically loose some width. That is why ITP suggested the 9x9 instead of the 8x8. I will lose a total of one inch. (loosing 1" width off a tire means you loose 1/2" outside only and the other 1/2" inside) If memory serves me the Douglas wheel's offset was in fact narrower than stock...therefore loosing more width.(another inch I think)I am adding wheel spacers too. (1" per side)I do not jump more than a few feet in the air so I see no problem. You could always go with a 10" rim(stock rims) in back but ride would be stiffer. You can also go with an 8" rim but you may loose 1" total width but gain "cushyness".

Front: I am getting ITP front 10x5 rims. They actually have a 1" wider offset than stock according to the fellow at ITP. I am installing 21x7x10 Razrs. That will make the front 2" wider than stock.

Another thought: I would have used my stock rims to save some money but then I would have 2 other sets of "almost" new tires in the garage doing nothing. I will use my bigger tires when I am at camp in the rocks and mud.

Ground clearance: My 22" Bearclaws actually have a heigth of 21" and the front 23" Razrs are in fact 22" tall. Again, going down in size by 2" only makes you loose 1" of clearance.(half the loss on top and half on bottom) I just hope the rear Razrs are 19" tall instead of the stated 20". I will call them for the exact heigth before purchasing.

Sand paddles: Thats one that may cause a problem. If memory serves me they are made for 8" rims... now will they fit on a 9" rim??? That I do not know yet.

Top speed loss...from what I "heard" it is like 3 or 4 mph. My porting and new carb will compensate for the loss.

Let me know if you get some more info to add to this.

Brian