Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Terracross XD

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Terracross XD

I just put 26" Terracross XD tires on my Rhino 660. We spent today on Cedar Mountain, which is right in back of the house, and went for a 60 mile ride. Ride quality with the Terracross XDs is super smooth. This is the fifth different set of tires we have had on the Rhino, and I think these have the best ride quality of them all. Traction seems to be "just right" for a side by side. The tires grip well on all surfaces we have had them on, but they will still slide enough to make turns fun. And they have a gradual break-away coefficient, so sliding around turns is also very predictable. In other words, once they start to slide they don't completely loose all traction all at once, like the stock Maxxis tires do. I also noticed that turning effort is decreased with the Terracross tires compared to both the XTR radials and Bighorn radials we had on the Rhino before. A Rhino's steering can tend to be a bit on the heavy side, and the Terracross tires help to decrease that steering effort. Durability with these tires also appears to be good. Here are some pictures from todays ride. It is early June, but we were still the first vehicle across the mountain this year, and there were literally hundreds of trees, limbs, branches, and sticks lying across the road from winter snow load on the trees. We had to drive over miles worth of sharp sticks and branches, and suffered no punctures with the new Terracross XDs.

11,200 ft. elevation according to GPS

Needed the winch to drag the Rhino over this one.

Did I mention there were literally hundreds and hundreds of tree limbs in the road?

Some of the fallen trees were able to be driven around.

And others we just got stuck on (momentarily).

3TV

Old 06-08-2008, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider
Default Terracross XD

Damn man, thats a badass rhino. I have 25" terracrosses on my RZR and love them so far...they have been great in the snow, mud, trails, and street...I will see how they do in the sand over the 4th of July. So what's the deal with "XD"? Thicker sidewalls or what?

Old 06-08-2008, 10:05 AM
Pro Rider
Default Terracross XD

ITP has replaced the Terracross tire with the Terracross XD. If you went to a store now to buy a Terracross you wouldn't find one, unless it is a left over tire that the store had in its inventory. The old Terracross had a six ply rating on the tread area, and a two ply sidewall. The Terracross XD has the same six ply rating on the tread area, but a three ply sidewall, and a different rubber compound that is supposed to wear longer.