Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Ricochet Skid Plates good?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ricochet Skid Plates good?

Hello,
I am wondering if Ricochet skid plates are good skid plates. I've read good reviews but, I like to refer to "The Trusty Ol Forum" to make sure I am hearing correct. I read that their A-Arm guards are 5/32" thick and the rest of their skid plates are 6/32" or 3/16" thick. My type of riding is VERY rough on the ATV, and since I only own a 2 wheel drive ATV, I have to rock it around a lot in the swamp and ride it harder than I'd like to.
Thanks!!

Old 01-01-2009, 01:56 PM
Pro Rider

I have used skid plates from Pro Armor and Ricochet and prefer the design and fit of the Ricochet over anything I have used, read about or seen. They are of very good quality, but for those who ride in the mud a lot often drill more holes in the bottom of the A Arm guards to allow the mud to drain out and there might be something out there better suited for mud riding for this reason. I don't ride in the mud, so it is not a consideration for me. Hope this helps.

06 Rhino
08 Grizzly 700 EPS

Old 01-01-2009, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider

I love my Ricochet's, only problem has been the little button head bolts coming loose, but thats not very often. I've hit several large rocks and all the did was badly scratch the skid plates. Worth every penny for all the times they've saved my oil pan. Like tripleR said, they do hold mud, but not a big deal if your not in the stuff all day. The stock plastic ones are a joke if you have any rocks you ride over they'll be shot quickly.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:15 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Rancher247

I love my Ricochet's, only problem has been the little button head bolts coming loose, but thats not very often. I've hit several large rocks and all the did was badly scratch the skid plates. Worth every penny for all the times they've saved my oil pan. Like tripleR said, they do hold mud, but not a big deal if your not in the stuff all day. The stock plastic ones are a joke if you have any rocks you ride over they'll be shot quickly.</end quote></div>

+1 I have solved the comming loose issue by putting blue locktight on the bolt treads. Ricochet is some of the best skid avil today!

Old 01-02-2009, 12:40 AM
Trailblazer

Dodge,
where can I get the best deal on a set for my outlander?

Old 01-02-2009, 12:59 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

They are about the same price no matter wher you go but I got mine through Rockymountainatv.com. If you google Rockymountanatv coupons you can save a few bucks as well.
You can also by direct from http://utahsportcycle.com/.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:20 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the web sites.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:35 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks guys. I need skid plates right about now. I'm going to order them through rocky mountain as soon as I can. What surprises me is my stock plastic rear differential skid plate is holding up very well on my Ozark. I've hit rocks in 3rd and 4th gear with that skid plate but it is still in tact and lookin' good. Since I'm trying not to spend ALL my Christmas money, I think I'm just going to buy the A-Arm skids and the Chassis skid plate and leave the differential skid plate for another time.

Thanks again guys!