Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

lift kits ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 09:41 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lift kits ?

how does it raise it in the front ? at the lower control arms ?

can i use the same springs?

i need a 2 in lift . most kits say 1 to 2 inches what is it really. i need moe then more than 1 in.

6in kit cost too much.

i got 25 tires now ,when i get nwe tires im possibly going with at least 26 if not 27's or you think 28s will to be large. this is on my grizzly below

thanks

Old 02-05-2009, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!
Default lift kits ?

From what i could see in magazines is the cheaper versions of lifts are basicaly brackets that hang lower and your a-arms will bolt he them, in result lifting the atv. Normally the stock springs are fine with a 2" lift. The more expensive ones like gorrilla axle come with everything you need but is about $2500.00. On the other hand, if your lifting it b/c you want the larger tires but think that they may not fit, then id double check. I have an 02 500 and 08 700 arctic cats. Both have had 28"s on them with plenty of room for 29"s maybe even 30"s and i do not have a lift kit. Im not sure if the grizzly hasenough room though.

Old 02-12-2009, 05:13 PM
Range Rover
Default lift kits ?

The lift kits are decieving all they do is move the top shock mount futher out towards the tires and the true lift comes from tires. I got a three inch lift kit from worldwideperformance1.com so check that out and se if your interested. Mine took about an hour and a half to install

Old 02-13-2009, 02:17 PM
Range Rover
Default lift kits ?

do lift kits wear up your axles more? and cv joints cause on the angle?

Old 02-16-2009, 08:30 PM
Range Rover
Default lift kits ?

no they dont on most qauds it really depends on how high you go.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:39 PM
Range Rover
Default lift kits ?

If you buy a lift kit of any kind be prepared to start spending lots of money on axles and or cv joints. I have been in the cv axle business for over 20 years and the problem is when you lift the bike several things can happen:

1. You increase the distance between the differential and the wheel hub: The inner cv joint in most cases is made to move in and out only about 3/4" as the suspension goes up and down. When you increase the distance you bring the ball, cage & race further out in the inner cv joint housing. This will cause them to hit against the "c" clip that is there to keep the joint from coming apart during shipping or while installation or removal. THIS WILL CAUSE SOMETHING TO GIVE!

2. You increase the angle of operation:

a)This will cause the shaft to rub against the rim of the inner cv joint. You'll know this has happened when you hear the clicking as it passes each of the six ball tracks. Or if you remove the joint you'll see that the shaft will have scaring where the joint had been rubbing. This will also show signs on the rim of the inner joint and in most cases will literally crimp the clip into the grove that it rest in and you'll have to chisel it out to remove the inner joint from the shaft. (this is why we ask that you send the inner cv joint back when making a warranty claim)

b) When the a-arm drops down (i.e. while the bike leaves the ground). The inner cage is cocked at a very steep angle. Then when you land back on the ground with a hard force the ball, cage and race need to slide back into the inner cv joint cup. However, with the cage (the part that has 6 windows that the ***** ride in) is at this extreme angle it will cause the joint to bind. Then when the shaft comes in it's equivalent to breaking a twig over your knee. I'd recommend not lifting the vehicle and spend your time and money riding instead of fixing your ride.

If you have any questions or concerns you can always call or PM me. I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you,
Danny Walburn
President
CV Restoration, LLC
Jessup, MD

Old 03-10-2009, 06:18 PM
Range Rover
Default lift kits ?

still need a 1 to 2 inch lift the some 28s now i think silverbacks ? but cant run over a 9 ich wide in frontm tdue to sterring knucle cleance with 8 its got about 1/2 inch c.earance

Old 03-11-2009, 03:54 PM
Range Rover
Default lift kits ?

If you want the wider tires get wheel spacers

Old 04-04-2009, 12:18 AM
Trailblazer

You could also look into what they call a "PIPE" lift.
It is like a spacer that goes onto the SPRINGS, and will only lift the quad as far as the max shock extension.... It would not be as much wear on the parts that CV man refered to, but will make the ride stiffer.. AND this will only lift IF the springs are a bit saggy..
One way to tell is to lift on the quad front or rear or both, while it is sitting on the ground. If it comes up, then you WILL gain lift.....

I run a lift on mine, but only in the front.. The can am's on the rear will NOT tolerate a bracket type lift of ANY kind.. The axles will pop out of the diff, maybe stripping splines on either axle or hopefully not the diff.....
The Grizz's are kinda notorious of this as it is, with out the lift, depending on the year....
In my opinion, I would look into some of the aftermarket axles that are designed to take more of an angle than the stock ones... There are only a few to choose from and they ARE pricey....

Everything that Danny said in his post IS TRUE..
I have bought from him a FEW times and each one was a pleasant experience and very good customer service.... I think I have bought two REAR axles for my 04.5 popo, and some u-joints for the front axles....
And for anyone that is thinking on lifting a quad, that has U JOINTS on the front inner axle, DO NOT EVEN WASTE YOUR MONEY AND TIME.. IT will NOT last ONE half of a ride!!! I know this from experience!

Old 12-04-2009, 08:46 PM

my 10 can am 800 has no sag so i cant get a lift in the rear so how much lift would i put up front to level it out