Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

A dozen of tire to compare

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 12:56 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A dozen of tire to compare

I'm looking for new tires for my 2001 Scrambler 500 4x4. The OEM carlisle 489 are worn out and now useless in the mud

I've been looking for a while what is available in my size, and that seem to fit the bill.

23x7-10 or 23x8-10 in the front

22x11-10 or 22x12-10 in the rear

I'm looking for a good trail tire that will do fine in the mud. I'm not into the 3ft deep stuff, but I need to go trough swamp and mudholes to reach some riding area. here are my list

AMS Swamp Fox
Duro X-Treme (Fr)
Duro Buffalo (Fr)
Duro HF-274 Excavator (RR)
GBC DirtDevil 2
Interco Swamp Lite
ITP MudLite
Kenda Bearclaw
Maxxis Zilla (RR)
Maxxis Sur Trak (RR)
Supergrip Superlight

I've been using Bearclaw on my 3-wheelers for a while, and know what they can do. If I had no time to shop, i'd go with these blindly. My goal is still to find something lighter, better, cheaper, as always. I want your opinions and reviews

thanks, Nic

Old 01-27-2010, 03:38 PM
Pro Rider
Reconranger (automatics are for sissies)!

I can only help with what I have used. To do otherwise isn't bright.

Mudlites. Aggressive tire that rode well. I had issues with some mud holes but found that it wasn't due to the traction. The Mudlites run smaller than advertised. I had MANY sidewall slices (one slice had 8 plugs). The heighth is why I tried the next tire.

Swamplites. They wore sort of fast but gave good traction. They actually are a little taller than advertised (which was nice). Nice in the mud but didn't seem to clean themselves out the best. Great all around tire for the price. No holes or slices.

Maxxis Zilla's. The tires I have now. The wear better than the Swamplites and have better traction than both tires above. I have the deep lugs though. No punctures or slices. Run a little rough below 5mph or so but smooth out after.

Of the three I like my Zilla's best but it was hard to beat the all around performance and price of the Swamplites. If deep mud is in your future, I like the Zilla's.

Hope this helps.
Buck

Old 01-27-2010, 07:48 PM
Trailblazer

I have the 22x11-10 Zillas on the back of my 02' Scrambler and absolutely love them. They grip really well in just about anything.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:14 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

you could try looking up (mudthrowers .com) They have alot of tires to choose from with sizes, weight, and tread depths available for each tire. Very good website for doing comparisons.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:57 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by readymixer169
you could try looking up (mudthrowers .com) They have alot of tires to choose from with sizes, weight, and tread depths available for each tire. Very good website for doing comparisons.

I just took a look at ATV Mud Tires ITP, Maxxis, Interco, GBC and Kenda and the information is interesting, but I prefer 4atvtires.com and others one that let you search by size

In fact, I already collected the essential information and verified them on manufacturer website for all the tire I listed. weight, thread depth, number of ply, etc

Old 01-28-2010, 08:59 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

With Mud lites you have to remember there not all the same. The shorter lugs are mudlite ATs,then the taller/larger lugs are XLs and the Largest/tallest lugs are XXLs.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:20 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by TLC
With Mud lite you have remember there not all the same. The shorter lugs are mudlite ATs,then the taller/larger lugs are XLs and the Largest/tallest lugs are XXLs.

Consider de MudLite AT. It's the only model in my size