Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

shifter seal leak

Old 11-06-2016, 10:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shifter seal leak

hey how's it going?

new to the forum but not new to atvs.

so i have an 86 kawasaki bayou 300. It leaks at the shifter seal and ive been trying to find a part number for the seal so i can replace it

does anyone know what it is? or even what its called?

i googled the normal stuff "shifter seal", "oil seal", and even "seal kawasaki" and i got nothin.

any help would be amazing.

and just because im a nice guy...heres a picture of the kawasaki last weekend

86-87 bayou 300s didnt have the two headlights.............so i made that grill guard and stuck two LED cubes in there. i also kept the top one. its bright as hell at night and really helpful

Old 11-07-2016, 09:43 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

did you try bayou 300 shift seal? All kinds on ebay.. For the price of a seal i would just call a local dealer.. Sometimes its worth it to pay the extra few $$ at the dealer for the smaller items. Also if you have a bearing shop in town you can remove the seal with as little damage as possible. They can usually read the old part # and match it up. Or if not damaged to bad they can measure it up

Old 11-15-2016, 05:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey thanks man....I ended up doing a little more googling with your suggestion and i found it!

For anyone else who has a 1986-1987 kawasaki bayou 300 with a leaky shifter seal, all you need to do is go to partzilla, oem parts, 1986 or 1987, kawasaki bayou 300, then go to "front bevel gears". On the diagram, the part number is 92049A and the actual part number is 92050-082.

I ended up buying two, doing the reverse/neutral shifter and trans shifter seal. I also bought the drive shaft seal (on the same diagram).....because now thats leaking too!

Again, thanks for the help!