Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

FNG needs tire advice.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 02:58 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FNG needs tire advice.

Okay I have searched for this but am not quite sure still so here goes.

New to ATV's and I have a old kaw 220 bayou that I picked up for the kids to play with. I think I have the sizes figured out but would like some opinions on tread type.

I know that you are going to ask where and what type of riding we do but this is the problem ... I do not know as I am new to this. I am probably looking at trails and some mud/snow. To be honest I would not have changed tires yet but one is bad enough it would need a tube and I do not see spending almost 1/2 the price on a tube that might get me a tire. There are sooo many options that it gets hard when you have no experience but I think I have narrowed it down to Knobbies or all terrains . If I choose one over the other what are the trade offs vs benefits?

It is not supposed to be a sporty atv but if I am reading it right the knobbies are pretty good at most things and thats sort of what the oem dunlops were. Is that just old designs and I may be better off with more of an all terrain like the carlyle stryker or AT 489 style tires. I do not want Mud specific tires at this point but being a 2wd I do want traction for those times I do run across mud or snow.

Thanks for looking.

Old 03-30-2018, 04:24 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should look at Mud Lite AT or another less aggressive mud tire. Mud Lite ATs are all terrain tires that will work better on trails than more aggressive mud tires, but are still better than knobbies in mud or snow. They come in 22"-25" diameters. General purpose tires like Maxxis Bighorns would be a great choice too, maybe even better than Mud Lites. I would compare prices on them. I personally wouldn't want to ride through mud or snow with knobbies. https://www.itptires.com/products/pr...il/mud-lite-at

P.S. My Trailblazer 250 had Carlisle 489s on it for stock tires and they worked great everywhere I rode it, including a little mud and snow. I've seen people on here criticize 489s but I never had a problem in the year or so I had the Trailblazer. They make 3 different versions of 489s now. https://www.carlislebrandtires.com/o...s-tires-wheels

Old 03-30-2018, 05:04 PM
Trailblazer

Thank you
Some of my problem is due to the age of the machine the tire size options are less. I checked two different distributors and no luck on the bighorns in my size (22x10 or 11-10). I think the mudlites might be a bit more aggressive than I am looking for but then I do not know that is just from 4x4 experience many years ago. Good to know on the knobbies so I will look for something closer in pattern to the bighorns or 489's . I did see the 3 versions of that tire but only one is available in my size, the price of old iron.

I know this is a can of worms but any brands to stay away from and why?

I am not looking for $$$ tires as they will cost more than the atv is worth but something reasonable is fine.

Old 03-30-2018, 06:08 PM
Moto Psycho

After I posted I looked at the sizes of the 489s and saw that only one came in small sizes, but didn't know how small you needed. The 489s I had were actually Titan brand, not Carlisle. They have Titan and Goodyear tires here, including Goodyear EMT run-flat tires, but most don't come in the size you need. https://www.titanatv.com/goodyear-atv-tires

As far as what brands are good or bad, I don't know. The only time I ever replaced a set of tires was when I bought a set of Goodyear Mud Runners. Those were aggressive tires and made it look like a roto-tiller went down the trail. A friend was following too close behind me on a dirt road and had to duck a rock my tires threw at him. It was a long time ago and I can't remember for sure but it may have been the size of a baseball. The ride on hardpack was very smooth for mud tires. They still make them. The rear tires in the size I had back then have 15/16" of tread depth and the rear tires have 25/32". They dig in deep and throw dirt, rocks, and sticks everywhere.

I should have stayed with the stock Goodyear Tracker P tires that came on it. I thought they were good tires and ran them for years on another ATV, putting thousands of miles on them. They come in 22x11x10, but they're $65.31 each and only have 5/8" tread depth in that size, and they're out of stock. 3 strikes.

Old 03-30-2018, 06:30 PM
Trailblazer

Lol... I had some super swampers on my bronco and remember throwing dirt clods straight up in the air about 100 feet, we thought it funny until they came back down and we did not have the top on the truck.

full disclosure I own a motorcycle repair shop so will pick the tires up from one of my suppliers, have to get deals where I can as there are not a lot of them. luckily between them I have access to a bunch of brands and models , down side is I have a size that is not common anymore and have no idea what I need. Anyway I will check out some of the suggestions you have and keep on reading. First step is to see if it even runs tomorrow or if the project is growing. If it passes that test I will make a decision and get a pair coming next week.
Thank you again.

Old 03-31-2018, 12:30 AM
Moto Psycho

You're welcome. Pretty much anything other than turf tamers would be better than knobbies. I've seen quads with Carlisle Trail Wolf tires and they seemed to work well on trails. They may have been stock tires, maybe not. They come if a lot of sizes from 19"-25". https://www.carlislebrandtires.com/o...ail/trail-wolf

Carlisle A.C.T. (All Conditions Tires) are the same thing as my stock P.X.T. (Polaris Xtreme Tire) radials, but they don't come in your size. The point is, Carlisle tires seem to be good quality. I've had to use 2 tire plugs on mine in the last 10 years. I got a nail in one riding in a cement pond (an actual cement pond, not a swimming pool). There were branches piled up in the pond and I remember joking at the time that I didn't know beavers used nails to build with.

The year before last I had a slow leak in a different tire. I could air up my tire and it would be good for a couple of weeks then go flat. Last year I pumped it up to 20-30 pounds and put it in the bathtub and had turn it around and around before I finally found the leak. I couldn't tell which direction the puncture went but forced a reamer through the hole and plugged it. I haven't had any other tire problems until one tire slowly went flat over a period of months between fall and winter. I think it's the same tire but it's leaks even slower now.

Old 03-31-2018, 07:58 AM
Trailblazer

I did think about the turf tamers for a moment but that was because I know what the kids are about to do to my lawn.

Sounds like I better get a plug kit and compressor/battery tender wiring. Do you slime the tires ?

Old 03-31-2018, 08:17 PM
Moto Psycho

I used slime in one set of tires years ago, but none of my other ATV tires have had slime in them. I carry a tire plug kit with 2 CO2 cylinders. I haven't needed to use the CO2 yet. One of my friends carries a small tire inflator in his cargo box. When anyone in our group needs a tire plug, the plug kits and inflator come out.

https://www.stopngo.com/atv-tire-repair-kit/

P.S. You can get more plugs and rubber cement at any auto store. You may have to go to a bike shop to get more threaded CO2 cylinders.

Old 03-31-2018, 08:37 PM
Chasing trails, Dodging dust devils.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My brother in law had these on his 300 fourtrax for several years. They seemed to be a good all around trail
tire without having to get a second mortgage to purchase.
Cheng Shin C828 Lumberjack
Chaparral motorsport has a decent price on them.

Old 03-31-2018, 08:46 PM
Chasing trails, Dodging dust devils.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, I keep a plug kit and small 12v air compressor on my atv for those flat tire times. I used to run a tire slime but the plugs work fine for atvs and no mess if you need to change tires.

Quick Reply: FNG needs tire advice.