Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

FNG needs tire advice.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 02:49 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Hawkeye
I will look at that tire too, I am coming from the motorcycle world where chengshin are not looked on as very good tires but years ago I ran Maxiss tires on my KLR650 and they were great. Maxxiss is made by chengshin so I see no reason not to give them a try.

A customer showed me a way to take a cheap air compressor from one of those cigarette lighter version. just smash the case and fit a battery tender style plug with a switch in line and then I can air up easily. We tried the type that plug into your spark plug hole but did not like them.

Old 04-01-2018, 03:55 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have one of those tire inflators that plugs into the cigarette lighter in my truck. It works in the truck but when I plugged it into my ATV it blew the fuse. I think the receptacle shorted out from being stored outdoors ever since I bought it in 2008. I used to plug my GPS into it when I ride so I know it used to work. I don't have a cargo box on my rear rack and don't think my tire inflator will fit in the built in storage anyway. Now I just carry the CO2 inflator and don't worry about it.

Old 04-03-2018, 08:55 AM
Trailblazer

I think the receptacle shorted out
Yes the large cigarette style receptacles are an issue, that's one of the reasons I convert the plug to match a battery tender. That plug fits my tender, Gerbing heated jacket and air compressor. It is polarity sensitive so if you do not mix the battery leads up at the battery the plug cannot be reversed. It is also much smaller than the cigarette style , fused and pretty bomb proof.

Old 04-14-2018, 12:37 PM
Trailblazer

Okay well we will see I went with the Mud Lite AT so as soon as I get a chance to install them i will finally get an idea of what I needed...lol

In the mean time I am changing tie rods, valves,piston and front drums. It may never be pretty but at least it should run well when I am done.

Old 04-14-2018, 02:08 PM
Chasing trails, Dodging dust devils.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to hear, post some pics once you get the tires installed.

Old 04-14-2018, 03:35 PM
Trailblazer

Sure I will post up some snaps , I have not tried doing so on here yet , I hope it is easier than doing a top end...lol

FYI: hawkeyeRider I see you are in New Mexico. I cannot imagine how awesome it would be to have an ATV out there, I spent a couple years at school in Phoenix and sure liked the open spaces you guys have to play in.