Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

How to clean sand and cr@p out of your chain??

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2001 | 12:01 PM
|
Trailblazer

I was wondering how everyone cleans all the garbage out of their chains?
I soaked mine down with chain lube and let the wheels run while lifted off the ground, and it just made a muddy sloppy mess all over.
And There is still gunk built up all over it.

I was thinking maybe as the chain spins to hold a wire brush tight against the chain to dig out the mud and sand.

Would this hurt and O Ring chain?

I know better than to use any solvents.

Let me know how you all do it....

Old 04-25-2001 | 11:50 AM
Trailblazer

Same question here. I know the "standard drill"...soak in kerosene. Seen the price of that stuff lately. What about diesel fuel?
Anyway, i spray it down w/ simple green. let sit until i get bored ( about 5 minutes ) and then i sit with a soft nylon fiber brush and scrub. spray off lightly ( open fan ) w/ power washer (ya, ya i know. major major NO NO here... hey, it's MY chain) then dry w/ towel and then IMMEDIATELY lubricate w/ whatever i haven't run out of ( o-ring chain lube, WD-40, motor oil ).
But i am completely unsatisfied w/ the procedure. I know H2O is a no-no, but what is the secret? how come my chains look like crap on my new rides, and Mr. KTM dealer mechanic down the street has his personal 3 year old bikes w/ chains and sprockets that always look trick? let's give it up here... out.

Old 04-25-2001 | 04:55 PM
Pro Rider

One secret is DO NOT OVER LUBE!!! A little lube on your chain is all you need. Most people over lube their chain and all the extra oil/lube does is hold the dirt on your chain. I learned this lesson with my dirt bike loooong ago.

What I did was get the tires off the ground...start the bike and put it in second so the chain was moving at a fair pace, give a quick spray of chain lube (Because the chain is moving a quick spray will cover the whole length of chain) then give the bike a quick rev to throw off the excess and your all set to go. I hope this helps you out or at least gives you other options.

Old 04-27-2001 | 03:24 AM
Trailblazer

That is an excellent point about too much lube. I have always figured that if a little of something is good, then a lot must be better... and that goes for pharmaceuticals as well. late.

Old 04-27-2001 | 06:00 PM
Range Rover

don't forget a good o-ring chain will work extremly well as wellas last much longer in any riding that you do..so spend the extra money and you won't be disapointed

Old 04-29-2001 | 05:56 PM
Range Rover

I spray ours down with WD-40, let it set for a few minutes (or until I get bored). If they are really cruddy, I use a soft toothbrush to scrub them (gently) then use a rag to wipe them off real good. I get the rear sprocket too. It does a pretty good job at cleaning them up.
Then I spray chain lube on them. (maybe too much, ooooppss)

By-the-way kindsambo..your rules are two+ years too late for my husband!!!

Later...Sher