Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

banshee rev limiter

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2000, 09:47 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my question is does any body make a cdi box to up the rev limiter on a 99 banshee or should i get rid of the things on top of my stock carbs and go with just 1 throttle cable . and will it mess up anything, or will i have to watch i dont miss a gear and blow the engine up, or will i have to do some adjustments to the carbs, right now i got a cool head on it ,boyesen power reeds,fmf fatties,power core 2 silencers,reed spacers,280 jets, diff needles, and a unifilter

joe jute 99 banshee
99 warrior

Old 02-04-2000, 10:22 AM
Pro Rider

I have About the same mods as you mentioned....

My opinion would be to get rid of the throttle overide system on the carbs....contact motion pro. They have a kit for around $50 that removes the "TORS" system. The kit includes new carb caps,cable and idle adjustment kit.

But no matter what you do.....There is no way to avoid over revs from shifting into the wrong gear...All the throttle Override system is doing is cutting the engine if the slides stick open, cable bind, etc.(even though the engine might quit....there is no way of knowing if the initial "high revs" did any damage) ...If you remove the TORS...you should be removing the switch out of the Thumb throttle housing also....But I hear of some people leaving the switch intact.

good luck

Old 02-05-2000, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider

By virtue of the Banshee motor's roots--the RZ350, rev's in excess of 10,000 RPM, shouldn't do any "damage" to your motor. Actually your pipes would prevent you from rev'ing that high in most cases. The damage comes from missing a shift and thence slamming it into gear.

Getting rid of the TORS is a worthy venture. I'm second guessing Yamaha and the "legal-ese" that they seem to adherent to, but the TORS system would prevent your bike from getting away from you if, like mentioned in the previous post, the slides stick open, cables bind, run-away motor...so on.

Old 02-05-2000, 02:27 PM
Range Rover

thanks u 2 i unplugged that one plug and unplugged the one that comes from the thumb throttle it still runs and seems to rev a little better thanks

joe 99 banshee