Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Dunlop Tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2002, 06:15 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know where I would be able to find (buy) a full set of 25-10-12, and 25-8-12 "like new" Dunlop tires, or where they might be advertised? The local dealer has new ones taken off of machines that had big wheel kits installed, but he wants full rretail price for them.

Old 03-29-2002, 11:12 AM
Pro Rider

They do make a nice snow tire don't they?

Old 03-29-2002, 04:55 PM
Trailblazer

I think so. My borther has a 1999 Polaris 500 with the OEM Goodyears. They are taller than the Dunlops, but he doesn't get as much traction on ice and snow as I do. I think the Dunlops have more rubber in contact with the ground, probably because of being a softer, lower inflated tire. I haven't got any flats yet (touch wood). That's my only concern with Dunlop, but so far I haven't been disappointed. Thor, have you got Dunlops on your Polaris, or previous experience with them? Another tire that has got my interest is the newer Goodyear that is OEM on the 700 Polaris, and the newer 500HO. Not sure what model it is, but it looks fairly tall, and has an aggressive mud type tread. But for now, I'll stick with the Dunlops, or until they disapoint me....lol....

Old 03-30-2002, 10:06 AM
Pro Rider

<< Thor, have you got Dunlops on your Polaris, or previous experience with them? Another tire that has got my interest is the newer Goodyear that is OEM on the 700 Polaris, and the newer 500HO. Not sure what model it is, but it looks fairly tall, and has an aggressive mud type tread. But for now, I'll stick with the Dunlops, or until they disapoint me....lol.... >>

I have had both Goodyear Tracker P tires and the standard Dunlop tires that came with the 500 Magnum. Here is what I have found.

Dunlop Tire: Advantage in the snow and on ice. Soft ride on straight trails. Disadvantage, not as good as the Trackers in &quot;serious&quot; mud conditions. Rear axle drive train rebounding due to soft tire sidewall.

Goodyear Tracker P. Front tires weak and of no advantage over Dunlop other than easier steering. Rear tires: Wear like iron, 4000 miles is not uncommon with reasonable tread depth still left. One of the best standard mud tire supplied a manufacturer. Good performance in the mud with a decent ride, reasonable weight. More fishtailing with a straight axle machine on unbroken snowy trails than with the Dunlop and will not follow a broken snowy trail as well as the Dunlop.

The new Goodyear Rawhide Grip which you are describing possibly could be best all around tire yet. Large lugs for long wear. Deep lugs for extra traction. Side lugs for rut busting performance and lugs positioned for tire self clearing and smooth riding. It looks like a great overall tire. A couple of my friends have these Grips and I am eager to see how they perform in the early spring mud agains my ITP 589 MS tires.

I have also seen Bear Claws used in the snow. They are impressive in the snow. Much more so than their performance in the mud.

Old 03-30-2002, 12:16 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for your info Thor. I agree, the Tracker P's on my brother's 500 look like they have barely lost the rubber nibs, and he's got 1000 miles on them. At that rate, they'll last him forever. What was the tread life of your Dunlops? It will be interesting to see how the Rawhide Grips stand up against your 589's. When you find out, please post.