Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Difference between a strut and a shock

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 05:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference between a strut and a shock

Who can tell me what the difference is between a shock and a strut?

Why are shock experts willing to "convert" a rebuilable stock shock into a "works" (high performance) shock, but won't touch a rebuildable strut? Can they "convert" a rebuildable strut into a performance strut?

Can a strut suspension system be converted to a shock suspension system?

Old 03-12-2003, 11:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

Q. Who can tell me what the difference is between a shock and a strut?

A. A shock is designed only to slow the compressing and rebounding forces created from outside forces (holes, bumps, etc.).
A strut is designed to act as a shock but also functions as part of the steering and suspension system.
Normally if you have a shock setup you will have one spindle, one upper a-arm, one lower a-arm, and one shock per corner of the quad. The shock will normally attach directly to the lower arm and then to the frame.
If you have a strut setup, you will normally have one spindle, one lower arm assembly, one strut, and no upper arm. Instead, the strut will attach directly to the spindle (steering knuckle) and then attach directly to the frame. The strut acts as the upper arm.
The problem with this setup though is that the strut style front suspension is much more likely to be damaged from a side or angled impact to the wheel than the shock setup.

Q. Why are shock experts willing to "convert" a rebuilable stock shock into a "works" (high performance) shock, but won't touch a rebuildable strut? Can they "convert" a rebuildable strut into a performance strut?

A. I am not sure why rebuilders won't convert or rebuild strut units unless their is not a great enough demand for it or if there is not enough of a profit margin to justify their time.

Q. Can a strut suspension system be converted to a shock suspension system

A. I have not seen any conversion kits from struts to shocks available for quads. They do offer these kits for some of todays cars that are being using in racing applications.

I hope this has helped!

Old 03-12-2003, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider

Very helpful. Thanks

Old 03-26-2003, 11:23 AM
Pro Rider

Actually I think EPI (Erlandson Performance) makes a strut to shock conversion for the Polaris. I requires welding some additional bracing on the frame to allow for the upper A-Arm. If you want performance struts contact Works, Fox, or HPD. These companies build rebuildable struts.