Dunes and Desert Photos Post photos of the dunes and the people who ride them

Had to wait out a flash flood on this weekends ride

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 09:29 PM
Range Rover
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Had to wait out a flash flood on this weekends ride

An interesting day riding yesterday, we had to wait out a flash flood in Eagle Canyon, which is in the San Rafael Swell, in Utah. Not a rain cloud in the sky, and suddenly we are facing a good strong stream of water coming down the canyon right in front of us. We barely had time to pull over to somewhat higher ground. It never became a really large flood, but ran steady for well over an hour before we were certain it was decreasing, and not continuing to increase.

That pool of water ahead looked harmless enough, and I was tempted to try it. We came back the next day after the water had dropped, and that small pool of water was a 3 foot deep hole. I would have swamped the UTV if I would have tried to drive through it.

We turned around and went with the flow, because it was a shorter distance to get to an exit from the canyon.

I've been exploring the west for a long time now, and haven't come across too many of these. It's a wonder we don't see them more often.

Old 09-03-2018, 10:27 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting. I've never seen a flash flood but I know what to do before driving through water when I don't know how deep it is. Grab a stick and see how far down it goes before it hits solid ground. If it's not too deep, walk where you just checked with the stick and keep checking in front of yourself and off to the sides until you're all the way across, or until you find out it's too deep. Getting your feet and legs wet is a lot better than driving into a deep hole and being stranded.

Old 09-04-2018, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Going to be out that way for a couple days riding the end of the month. Can't wait. Been watching flash flood videos and will be watching for floods.