Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

STEEPEST DUNES

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 07:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STEEPEST DUNES

Any good 250cc two stroke or higher should be able to climb any hill. The four strokes are a different story and for that Idaho and Utah have many hills I wouldn't even try on my Dale.. Utah has hills w/ no runs at the bottom..

Old 05-20-2003, 03:21 AM
Pro Rider
Default STEEPEST DUNES

well.. they werent climbable when i was at 250cc's

Old 05-20-2003, 09:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default STEEPEST DUNES

Steep is one thing but conditions are another.

Fine-Dry-Soft (just blown over the crest) sand is far tougher than Coarse-Wet-Packed sand. Another factor is what is the approach (can you get a run at the hill), obsticles, etc.

I hear St. A's has some of the finest softest sand out there and I hear Sand Mt., Utah (Little Sahara) has some of the steepest (a little longer than Sand Mt., NV).

Pismo Beach - Not for climbers - not a serious hill there plus the sand is coarse-wet-packed.
Glamis - Great riding but, not a serious spot to go climbing
Oregon - Haven't been but I hear it is more hairy than steep (no approach on some of the steep stuff and trails that go through trees on the way up
Dumont - would love to go.
St. A's, Utah, etc. (Man, I need more vacation time.)

Old 05-20-2003, 09:50 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default STEEPEST DUNES

my son tells me the hills here in oregon are easy and he is to smart to go down, the idiot holes, i think there called that because i hit my helmont on branches everytime i go down one of those holes, but they do give you that uneasy feeling that we all like after we have made it up one of those hard hills.

Old 05-28-2003, 10:36 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default STEEPEST DUNES

Actually all you guys are wrong. No hills are harder to climb out of than the sand hills near Walden, CO that originate at the creek bed. Your trying to get through wet sand, ruts(dont even try to climb them with skid plates) tree roots, turns and twists. It takes horsepower, *****, and an extended swing arm in most cases.

Check out my web page and Wyoduners web page. Its more than hit the throttle and go.

RoostkIng...

Old 05-28-2003, 01:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default STEEPEST DUNES

I have only been to Dumont and glamis and was more impressed with the hills at dumont. Of course I will be a first timer with riding a quad up the hills. My XR650R will climb ANY hill when I put the 10 paddle on. I am still a little scared of climbing anything too steep with the 700.

Old 08-30-2003, 02:45 AM
Trailblazer
Default STEEPEST DUNES

Hey RoostKing.... DAMN DUDE! Cool website pics of that Walden area. I was going to just give my vote for the steepest dunes being at Little Sahara, Utah but then I looked at your site, those spots in Walden with the technical riding, they are awesome. I can see where a mega powerful machine with extended swingarm would be the hot ticket. Nice pics. Wish it wasn't 7 hours away from me. Little Sahara is my favy I guess... cuz it's so close I guess... but I'd love to do the technical stuff, ANYONE can point and shoot up a mega hill like sand mountain.

Scott
Ogden, UT

Old 08-30-2003, 03:31 AM
Pro Rider
Default STEEPEST DUNES

I would like a shot at these un climable hills at Glamis... And what do you meen by the forbeden zone?? Also I think my dale can climb about any hill out there [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-30-2003, 07:23 PM
HA2
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default STEEPEST DUNES

i believe they are speaking of the closed areas.

Old 08-31-2003, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider
Default STEEPEST DUNES

Originally posted by: DuneMe
Steep is one thing but conditions are another.

Fine-Dry-Soft (just blown over the crest) sand is far tougher than Coarse-Wet-Packed sand. Another factor is what is the approach (can you get a run at the hill), obsticles, etc.

I hear St. A's has some of the finest softest sand out there and I hear Sand Mt., Utah (Little Sahara) has some of the steepest (a little longer than Sand Mt., NV).

Pismo Beach - Not for climbers - not a serious hill there plus the sand is coarse-wet-packed.
Glamis - Great riding but, not a serious spot to go climbing
Oregon - Haven't been but I hear it is more hairy than steep (no approach on some of the steep stuff and trails that go through trees on the way up
Dumont - would love to go.
St. A's, Utah, etc. (Man, I need more vacation time.)
You have it all pretty much right! That dry fine sand of Ida. and utah are the toughest to climb! The razorbacks, steepness and just shear size of st. a's give it the nod imo.

Quick Reply: STEEPEST DUNES