Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

STEEPEST DUNES

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 12:49 PM
Jwb
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STEEPEST DUNES

Hi I was told that Saint Anthony has not the largest dunes but by far the steepest is this wrong or right just wanted to know THANKS!!!!

Old 05-18-2003, 01:54 PM
Pro Rider
Default STEEPEST DUNES

Well, sand will only hold so much of an angle, and on the steeper ones at St Anthony you can see where the sand "falls" down the face, indicating that's as steep as it will hold. Friends of mine who've ridden Glamis a lot and now St Anthony tell me the Idaho dunes are tougher to ride with the preponderance of razorbacks. I don't know that they're necessarily steeper, but they are as steep as they come.

Old 05-18-2003, 05:08 PM
Jwb
Range Rover
Default STEEPEST DUNES

Well I was realy refering to hardest to climb steep THANKS and keep the info coming

Old 05-18-2003, 05:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default STEEPEST DUNES

sand moutain nevada that has some steep climbing the hill there is 600 feet strait up also filled with some realy cool jumps definently a must do at least once in youre life best time to go there would be labor day weekend or memorial day weekend thats when its most fun and has the most people there. and there is no camp ground fee you camp right on the sand also there is one bathroom and if you go there any other time of the year its preety mutch empty so i wouldnt go alone... hope ive been helpfull!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-18-2003, 06:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default STEEPEST DUNES

actually this year they started charging at sand mtn. NV. We are also fighting to keep it open, they are trying to close 1/4 of it as we speak. Sean

Old 05-19-2003, 12:34 AM
Trailblazer
Default STEEPEST DUNES

everybody says that idaho is steep and they are. but if i was to base it off of hills i havent been able to climb i would say little sahara utah is steeper. i have climbed all of the famous hills in idaho and all the scary steep razorbacked hills. but they are 3 or more hills that i cant climb at the utah dunes. and i know that sand mountain in utah is over 800 vertical feet it is close to 1000 feet. the hills in utah arent right where everybody races but some big 300-400 foot hills that are around that have some areas me and my brother cant make. so my opinion utah little sahara is the steepest to my knoweldge

Old 05-19-2003, 01:07 AM
Pro Rider
Default STEEPEST DUNES

dumont can get pretty trivky at times and there a a few dunes in glamis in the "forbidden zone" that are unclimbeable

Old 05-19-2003, 11:02 AM
Jwb
Range Rover
Default STEEPEST DUNES

THANKS and keep the info going

Old 05-19-2003, 11:29 AM
Pro Rider
Default STEEPEST DUNES

I would say that overall St. Anthony is the most challenging with big, steep soft hills with razorbacks - there isn't a hill at St. A I haven't been able to climb including going straight up the center of Devil's Dune and over the top. Little Sahara, UT does have some wicked hills that I haven't attempted to climb - there is some steep stuff there around the mountain.

Old 05-19-2003, 05:39 PM
Pro Rider
Default STEEPEST DUNES

Originally posted by: elsancho
dumont can get pretty trivky at times and there a a few dunes in glamis in the "forbidden zone" that are unclimbeable
I know of the hills your speaking of. A few valleys north of Patton valley. They are climbable!

Quick Reply: STEEPEST DUNES