Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

First trip to Oregon Dunes

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2003, 09:16 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First trip to Oregon Dunes

We have a group of 4 familes headed to the Oregon Dunes the Week of June 23. We are staying at Discovery Point. None of us have ever been north of Sacramento. Any tips or suggestions on the area would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Old 05-26-2003, 04:45 AM
Range Rover

Be well awhare of the sound issues at the Oregon dunes 93 dbls or get a ticket they might let you slide at 95 but just be careful. Its a long a boring drive from sacramento. A few weeks ago I flew down to San Diego to help my sister in law DRIVE back hear to Washington state. It took us 17 hours of driving! Except Mt shasta the landscape is the same thats around sacramento. Tumble weeds galore. While at the dunes watch for the NO ATV signs that will get you a ticket as well. Bring a camera for some good photos of the Oregon coast. The main headquarters for the dune patrol is in Reedsport just south of Winchester Bay, there you might find a map of the area and if you are worried of the noise they can check you for free and no worry of a ticket if over. There is no alcohol on the sand any more if cought you guess it a TICKET. Well I hope you don't get scared of this post just thought you'd like to know before you get up here. Have fun

Old 05-26-2003, 12:15 PM
Trailblazer

you are riding at winchester, so thats the first thing you have going for you...dunes there are AWESOME...a little extreme for youngsters if you go into the open dunes...lots of razorbacks and witcheyes... but you will not be disappointed...i love it there...good luck!

Old 05-27-2003, 11:43 PM
Range Rover

From others on this forum I got the impression not to worry unless its a holiday weekend. I am going mid week. Do they give you a warning? and how much would the ticket be? By they way, I have a 400ex with a white bros pipe.

Old 05-27-2003, 11:47 PM
Range Rover

If Winchester isnt the best part of the dunes for my 9 year old, which is?

Old 05-27-2003, 11:50 PM
Range Rover

Well I think its like a speeding ticket they might be nice and give you a warning or they might be jerks and give you a ticket. I think the tickets in general are like 40 bucks or something like it. I think if you go by slow and not rappin your bike out by them they shouldn't have a problem. But still might need to be careful. Florence is more of a family area.

Old 05-28-2003, 12:15 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: SJRDKevlar
If Winchester isnt the best part of the dunes for my 9 year old, which is?
oh, winchester has dunes for young and old, it's just that there are area's that are much more aggressive out in the deep open dunes area.......there are six" fingers" that go back into the the forest with lots of variety, and the areas near the main road and parking lot are mostly flat with some shallow rolling hills... florence is a little more mellow with lots of trails, wide open flats, and also some large dunes. good luck, you will love it here!

Old 05-28-2003, 12:19 AM
Trailblazer

As far as the db levels, I have found that as long as you are not rappin hard around the parking or camping areas, they leave you alone...I have talked to a couple of patrol guys, and they don't want to hassle anyone who is just having fun...On your last day down, have the ranger do a courtesy sound check, just so you'll know, just do it after your last run, in case. I have done it , and passed by .7 db!

Old 05-28-2003, 12:28 AM
Range Rover

Do they test it at idle or a particular RPM?

Old 05-28-2003, 12:50 AM
Pro Rider

If you go mid week you probably wont even see the forestry service except at the pay stations

Quick Reply: First trip to Oregon Dunes