Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

First trip to Oregon Dunes

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2003, 12:59 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First trip to Oregon Dunes

Originally posted by: SJRDKevlar
Do they test it at idle or a particular RPM?
yea at like 2500 rpm

Old 05-28-2003, 01:00 AM
Trailblazer

don't know if they test 2 and 4 stroke at same engine speed.

Old 05-28-2003, 11:03 PM
Elite Pro Rider

don't worry about the noise, like they said just don't roll up to the green trucks and rev up our 400 has a fmf and our friends has the white brothers and he said they came in at 95db so you won't have much trouble anyways. we have a woods pipe on one of the ds's and that is a loud pipe and we don't have trouble just stay away from the green trucks and don't run the race hills all day they check there now and then it a good time to watch how stock machines run. florence is really nice with kids.

Old 05-29-2003, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider

They are supposed to test you at 50% of your rev limiter RPM's. Go to oohva.org All of the rules on testing, and some previous test results are posted there. Odds are, if you have a pipe, you are over the limit. God know's I'm way too loud until I put one of my smaller end caps in. I've never been bothered while riding the Oregon Dunes, but I've seen guys getting checked, and they are usually the idiots doing wheelies in the parking lot, or revving there engines. If you see a sound checker, just wait for a DS 650 or Raptor (with a pipe) to go buy, and if they don't get checked, he won't bother you either. There is one cop with a blue raptor and a green pick-up. If you see a plain dressed guy riding alone on a blue raptor, just go the other direction.

Old 05-29-2003, 12:53 AM
Range Rover

They test it behind your quad at 1/2 throttle. The ticket is a round $100 bucks.

We go midweek in July and knock on wood have not been tested. My Zilla with its LRD pipe is 107 at idle.
Remember there is NO beer allowed in the dunes!!

Discovery Point is were we stay. It is right next to the dunes. You can slowly ride through camp to the Dunes. The Dunes are pretty good! They have alot of wind ,so there are a lot of drop off(witch's eyes) in the sand and do not jump off the top of any dunes without checking the other side, if it drop off way too steep!!!!
Paddle tires are a must for the dunes.
There is an area that is flat for the kids to ride around if to small for the dunes.

A buddy couldn't make it up the big dunes on a 250x so bigger is better. But a kid on a blaster can go up Banshee hill!!!

There is a pizza joint on the west end of town that serves a mean pizza!! They will deliver it to Discovery Point!!

Good luck !!! We have a great time every year!!

Mike

Old 05-29-2003, 02:11 AM
Range Rover

Thanks for all the good dope guys. Once the drive is over, I'm sure we'll have a blast.

Old 05-29-2003, 02:55 AM
RPM
Pro Rider

Winchester is a BLAST. There is a little bit of everything there, from Monster Hills to fun switchback trails to easy ride areas for the kids. You just need to pay attention to where you are going. In most instaces, there is usually an easy way as well as the hard way to get where you are going. The other thing is that there can be some fairly strong winds from time to time. The good part of it is that it smooths out the sand, but the down side is that it also changes things, sometimes over night. Over all, you will Love Winchester Bay.

Old 05-30-2003, 01:17 AM
Range Rover

Hey, I notice you have the KFX 700. How is it as a dune machine, specifically the automatic and the shear weight of that monster?

Old 05-30-2003, 03:53 AM
RPM
Pro Rider

It does pretty good. It will go just about anywhere and the Auto Trany makes climbing hills easy. You do notice the weight, but it is a very capable Dune Quad. Paddles are a MUST. In fact, the sand is the only place that you can just hammer the throttle and not worry about going over backwards. I personally prefer my 400 for the Sand. The main reason being, the Manual Trans and the weight. I like to be able to keep the quad in a certain gear depending on the situation. Other than that, the 700 is Smooth, Powerfull and FUN.

We are going to be at Winchester Bay, August 13th-17th. Right now there are about 20 quads going. Everything from a Yamaha Breeze to my KFX700. It's going to be a Big family outing. I can't WAIT.

You guys will have Fun, be sure and let us all know what you thought and how everything went for ya.

Old 05-30-2003, 09:02 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Thanks for all the info people!!!

Going July 4 w/techtip and bighonda and others.

Anyone be there July 4???