Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Just got back from SandLakes Oregon

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 12:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got back from SandLakes Oregon

We just got back from SandLakes Oregon it was very fun but by the last few days it got real bumpy and you couldn't go real fast but the winds messed everything at first up[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] but then they stopped and we were happy at are our camp but on the dunes we weren't cause the winds didn't smooth the sand but I think everything is opposite when we went camping squirrels invaded are camp and got a hold of a bag of sun flower seeds and everything else buy my advice dont get real far back by the ocean or your asking for trouble from squirrels. Now heres about the dunes. When you leave the entrance to get out its HUGE! but you can go off near the coast and floor it at full speed down there and there are some good hill climbs at the coast and when you get to more of the dry part you can see a tree line where people camp and do all sorts of things and there was a burn ban there and somebody had a fire going by the treeline and the ranger said that there is a 1001 dollar fine for a fire but either way you can go down these huge bowls that are pretty fun and you keep on going till you get to to a area were its got a wavey tipe of hill ride thats like a rollercoaster then you can go on some back trails wich are really fun and smoother than the dunes and when you climb the steepist hill there its pretty weird without a fast quad but i climebd hill with Honda Recon witch was a slow ride up but still fun and you can see a beautiful sun set and watch quads and dune buggys race and we saw a kid on a blaster flip his quad but he rolled on sand and was alright.Also if you go trough treeline you should expect tons of glass we found alot out there and then we were riding and watch a jeep with about 5 people drinking and then driving down hills and up nearley crashing into riders and then a buggy came out of corner when i was hill climbing and almost ran into me but if you go to SandLakes youll pry have a great time but it depends on what you ride but this was what my trip was like. Oh and one ore thing when we were at our camp spot you got a clear veiw of the ocean and we saw 4 sea otters swiming around and i got close to were they were at but they were making weird noises so i went back to camp. and then there were some horses on the beach and we saw Blue Herrings flying and stuff.At the bottom of the water there was a dead salmon or something like it and there tons of crabs eating it and thats another thing you can catch crabs and dig up oysters but we had a great time and riding was pretty fun but that was our trip to SandLakes Oregon[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-28-2003, 09:50 PM
Trailblazer

Sounds like fun wish I had been there[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

airraptor,I know what you mean about the trash.Seemed like everywhere I looked there was chunks of broken glass sticking out of the sand.I think that may have had as much to do with the alcohol ban on the dunes as much safety.

Old 07-29-2003, 01:31 AM
Range Rover

Sandlake sucks monkey ba!!$ unless your going there just to party. Thats the only thing that place has ever been good for IMO. The riding area is small, dunes are small except for the upper bowl which isn't to bad, the idiot holes as you call them (and I resent that btw hehe, we call them treeshots and I go up any that I can find) are easy and there aren't that many, there's the trash all over from the younger crowds down there partying, stupid people riding drunk all over...........ok I'm done bit^#ing.

Sorry for the rant I just have a personal vendetta against that place. You guys need to come farther south for a good time.

Old 07-29-2003, 09:08 PM
Trailblazer

Huge bowls?! We talkin bout the same sandlake? The sandlake i'm thinkin of is so small i can't stand it for more than a couple hours.

Old 07-30-2003, 10:19 AM
Trailblazer

Nothing wrong with Sandlake. Great family atmosphere, small but still fun for the kids, me included.

We had an interesting thing happen this weekend. When we got back from a ride on Saturday afternoon there were a bunch of people milling around our campsite. Some drunk guy on a V force doing 50 mph mowed over three fences, narrowly missed our motorhome and landed in, or rather destroyed a tree. The dude got up and walked away, right to jail. They got him on reckless endangerment, reckless driving, DUI and hit and run (from an earlier incident on the beach). Lucky we were out riding because we were sitting right under the tree he destroyed.

Derrick, sorry we missed you for the morning ride. We didn't exactly rise and shine. Long day, late night.

Old 07-31-2003, 04:17 AM
Trailblazer

My friends Van is the one that got hit by that guy. He was a real loser and also a real loser to the sport. I hate Sand Lake just for this reason way to small and way to many idiots.

-David

Old 07-31-2003, 10:09 AM
Trailblazer

That guy must have been a total idiot,sure glad you guys were gone when he plowed through there.Next time we go down it will definately be during the week,better selection on sites & different crowd than on the weekends.

We rode by your site a couple of times before we went out but no signs of life.Hopefully we can get together for a ride in the future.There will be a small group of us camping this friday night & maybe Saturday night a Capitol forest,check the Northwest riders thread for more info,hope you & your family can make it.

Derrick

Old 08-05-2003, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider

Just curious, was this about 7pm Friday that the knucklehead got arrested? I saw a couple rigs tearing out there running code, I was packing up to leave then and didnt see what all the ruckus was about. I ended my day early with a blown clutch! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 08-05-2003, 11:20 PM
Trailblazer

I believe that sounds about right... Cause my friends got hit by this retard over by the parking lot around 6:45 I think and he hit and ran.

Old 08-06-2003, 03:59 PM
Pro Rider

barapt, you just said it was a great family atmosphere, and in the same paragraph mentioned some drunk guy that could have killed you and your family if you hadn't been out riding, which is it. i've never been to sand lake but from what i read here i don't think it will be one of my priorities

Quick Reply: Just got back from SandLakes Oregon