Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

new and have a ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 09:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new and have a ?

Well in a month i will be getting a new duner. I ride glamis, pismo, and some trails. I will wat to get a raptor 660r or a bombedier 650. The problem is that the 650 ways to much and the raptor is yamaha which i like. We have to banshees and 1 blaster (for sell). Im selling the blaster to get mod money for whichever.If i go with a raptor i will probably get it used because it has mods already. And the ds i will probably get new. And make it way less. Thanks.

Old 05-12-2004, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider
Default new and have a ?

If you are a larger person then you would be happier with the DS. They ride better than the raptors and they have a ton of power ( not saying the raptors dont i have one ) The reverse is a very nice thing to have on the flip side though. If you have a chance to get the DS out and open it up and pitch it around you will love it but stay away from tight trails. I guess what i am trying to say is if i rode mainly in sand i would have got a DS over a Raptor but i am mainly in the woods so i went with the raptor.

Old 05-12-2004, 10:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default new and have a ?

Well i aint a big guy im 13 years old. i really want to be able to wheelie, jump far, and spank 450's wih my new mods for either quads. i been leaning more to the rappy because its more my style.
Thanks

Old 05-12-2004, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider
Default new and have a ?

Ya, yamahas mod better...The ds is sweet and fast..but its a big quad...not good for trails...The raptor is good all around and plus you have reverse...I like the looks of them better also..good luck with the 450's!! they are pretty mean quads!

Old 05-13-2004, 01:47 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default new and have a ?

Originally posted by: quadracer18
Ya, yamahas mod better...
That's BS.

Yes, you can get chrome parts, etc. for the rappy a little easier but, the 660 engine, tranny, carbs, crank. . . don't hold a candle to the DS engine.

The DS engine / tranny can take over 100HP RELIABILY! I wouldn't put 60HP to the Raptor without putting a new connecting rod in and thinking every time I shifted the gears.

The Raptor will always sell more than the DS because of the Yamaha name but, for the dunes and desert, the DS is a better choice!

Old 05-13-2004, 02:08 AM
HA2
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default new and have a ?

Originally posted by: 660rfun
Well i aint a big guy im 13 years old. i really want to be able to wheelie, jump far, and spank 450's wih my new mods for either quads. i been leaning more to the rappy because its more my style.
Thanks
cant beat them, join them.

Old 05-14-2004, 11:12 AM
Pro Rider
Default new and have a ?

Originally posted by: DuneMe
I wouldn't put 60HP to the Raptor without putting a new connecting rod in and thinking every time I shifted the gears.

The Raptor will always sell more than the DS because of the Yamaha name but, for the dunes and desert, the DS is a better choice!
Dude lets not overexhaggerate here....I dont even own a Raptor....

Old 05-14-2004, 02:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default new and have a ?

Originally posted by: jsyi
Originally posted by: DuneMe
I wouldn't put 60HP to the Raptor without putting a new connecting rod in and thinking every time I shifted the gears.

Dude lets not overexhaggerate here....I dont even own a Raptor....
Not sure I understand your post? are you saying quadracer18 is overexhaggerating about "Yamahas mod better"? Or that I am about the weak connecting rod and tranny of the Raptor?

The only thing that makes the Raptor better than the DS is the weight for the ladies. Around our camp, most of the ladies ride Raptor's because if they get stuck in the sand (rider error) they can't lift the back end out of the hole. I know my Wife would trade the ride of her Raptor for the ride of my DS in a heartbeat though. If it weren't for her bad back and not being able to lift it out if she got stuck, she would be on a DS. I hate that Craptor. . . jetting sucks and I just don't trust the internals of the engine for adding power to it. Sucks you have to do so much to beef up the engine before you start modifying.

Old 05-14-2004, 05:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default new and have a ?

The DS is an awesome quad but "HUGE"and as you noted weighs quite a bit. If your 250Lbs and over 6Ft It would be a good choice. I had a Raptor and while I liked it's cush/cadilac ride, I didn't like it's high center of gravity (tipyness). You can fix that for about $3K-$3.5K by putting wider A-arms, wider axle and new shocks. But when you add the upgrade costs into the price paid for the quad that's a big total ($9K plus). If you can swing the cost of a new 450 (Honda or Yamaha) I'd go that route instead. They both are relatively light and handle great. I have the YFZ450 and it love it. It handles far and away better than the Raptor I had, and stock for stock both are close in speed. The only down side on the YFZ for me is the seat is too hard, but I plan on addin 1" of foam and a new seat cover to fix that.

Rude Dog

Old 05-20-2004, 07:28 PM
Pro Rider
Default new and have a ?

I just rode trails for two days in mio mi,where my tires were hugging the eges of the trail
I had no problems riding my bomb on trails.I think that the saying (they suck on trails)is just a
myth that needs to be put to bed.