Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Lube chain for the sand?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 02:01 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lube chain for the sand?

I use somethinbg a bit different for the sand. I use RemOil. It is an oil used for gun care, but it is a dry type oil with teflon. You spray it on and wipe clean. I use it any time I go down to the local sand pit.

Also use some Kero or Diesel to get your chain clean.

Old 09-27-2004, 10:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

I got this from Sidewinder's website:

1. IF YOUR SIDEWINDER CHAIN IS COATED A WITH PRESERVATIVE GREASE, YOU MUST CLEAN THIS OFF BEFORE PUTTING YOUR DRIVE SYSTEM INTO SERVICE. WE RECOMMEND USING MINERAL SPIRITS AS A GOOD SOLVENT TO REMOVE THIS STICKY COATING. FAILURE TO REMOVE THIS PRESERVATIVE GREASE WILL SHORTEN THE LIFE OF YOUR SYSTEM.

I bought some at OSH but any paint or hardware store should carry it. It worked for me.

http://www.sidewindersprockets.com/toc.htm

Old 09-27-2004, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider

That is what to clean it with but did they recomend something to lube it with

Old 09-27-2004, 11:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

they push their product of course. i posted a link for you that want to check out more about them. I use their products and am happy so far. I have only been with them for about a year or so.

Old 09-28-2004, 02:22 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks

Old 09-28-2004, 02:31 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: DSengineer
Do yourself a favor and stay away from the wax. Once sand gets stuck on it good luck getting it off. My bike came from the factory with wax on the chain. First trip out to the dunes and it was caked with sand. Took me several hours to get it clean. Have since been using Triflow to periodically lube my chain. Before heading to the dunes just whipe the chain down with a shop towel to remove any excess. I get back and have very little sand on the chain now. What sand I do have can easily be removed with a garden hose. A pressure washer wouldn't even remove the sand from the chain wax that was originally on the bike.
I had the same problem. Stay away from the wax. I use a silicon lube and wipe off the excess with a towel. Very little sand sticks to the chain now.

Old 10-13-2004, 08:30 PM
Pro Rider

I use wurth dry lubricant seems to do a decent job and nothing sticks.

PS WD 40 will penatrate past the o rings in your chain and break down the grease held within, then its stiff links
Pressure washing to close injects water in past the rings, more stiff links (hp washers can also force water into shock absorbers)

Not trying to be clever , this info comes from bitter experiance.l

Old 10-13-2004, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider

WD-40 is about the worst thing you could use to lubricate ne thing. WD-40 is a cleaner, not a lubricant. not only is it too thin, and it will simply run out, or in the case of a chain, fling off, but it breaks down super easy. It also breaks down grease, so you will be left with nothing by WD-40 on ur chain, and it will not last. I used to use WD-40 on my skateboard bearings, and in about a day or 2 i would have to re-lube them. ur chain is moving a lot faster, and is under a lot more stress than my skateboard bearings were. if u want your equipment to last, spend your money on chain lube. it doesn't cost that much more than WD-40, and it will actually protect your chain.

Old 10-16-2004, 12:30 PM
Pro Rider

I am a little **** when it comes to chain care. I remove the chain from the quad and clean it in kerosine. If that's not available I use Diesel fuel. Diesel and kerosine are basically the same stuff, diesel is just not as highly refined. I then soak the the chain in my expensive synthetic oil that was drained from the quad at the last oil change. Wipe it down good and reinstall it on the quad. After everything is reinstalled, I'll take the quad out for a spin dry. Wipe off the little bit that gets flung on the quad and your ready to go. A little sand will stick to it but it cleans up real easy with a hose unlike chain wax. I think an O-ring chain and no lube is better than Chain wax in the sand. O-rings are already lubricated internally so all the wax does is give the sand something to adhere to.

Old 10-16-2004, 01:02 PM
Pro Rider

well just waxxed 4 quad's chains...used chain wax...went to the dunes...good stuff [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Lube chain for the sand?