Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

WA: sheriff seeks sand dune alcohol ban

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 06:12 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default WA: sheriff seeks sand dune alcohol ban

Originally posted by: RPM If you think it is, then tell that to my Dead best friends little daughter.
Got killed at the dunes? What happened? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 04-16-2005, 09:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My understanding from talking to the folks at Sand Lake, OR is that they are going to a total No Alcohol status also.
No alcohol anywhere on the premise, including the campground.

Not that I totally agree, but with the accidents and serious injuries, how can you blame them???
If they have identified that this is a problem, and don't do enough to fix it, they open themselves up to serious litigation.
Which in turn put the area and our ability to ride there in jeopardy.
I've only been to Sand Lake 3 times, and I've seen these idiots, despite a huge presence of Sheriff and Forest Service Rangers they continue to drink and do various other stupid human tricks.

Maybe one thing they should consider for Moses, which they also do at Sand Lake, is limit the number of people and sell permits for the large Holiday weekends. I'm sure they could limit the access points of they wanted to. Maybe not a popular choice, but I bet it would help. The fees would also help pay for extra law enforcement folks for the weekend.

Unfortunately we are at a point where it only takes a few idiots to screw it up for everybody, no matter what/where the situation is.
In order to help alleviate the consequences of such idiots, the good citizens need to do more than just **** and moan about it.
They need to come up with good ways to alleviate or control the actions of the idiots, and be willing to help carry out those ideas.

There is also a saying that "there is force in numbers"
The good folks generally outnumber the idiots, so instead of looking the other way or ignoring the idiots, try to do something about it if possible. I know that is sometimes easier said than done, but we need to try. Whether you are comfy trying to be the nice guy and telling them to knock it off (not always possible or the safe thing to do), or calling law enforcment, we can do something. That also shows that there are folks out their that do care.

This is a pretty in depth and lengthy topic, so I'll stop now.
Good conversation here though, shows that most of us really do care about our sport and our desire to keep the riding areas that we do have and try to maintain a good image for our great sport [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-16-2005, 10:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
I'm Short and Very Ugly.....

BRAVO Quad 4 fun...very well said...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I think their is NO easy answer to the problem of "DRINKIN & DRIVING" anything......YES law enforsement should step up their efforts.....YES the GOOD people that partake in the LONG WEEKENDS should do their part by calling LAW ENFORSMENT when some chithead is making an *** out of themshelf & endangering themselve & others....Maybe camping permits for those weekends could work, (they seem to work @ sandlakes)....I guess the bottom line (for me) BE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOURSHELF and YOUR ACTIONS...If that was to happen, then WE would not have anything to talk about, And that would suite me just fine...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]....BUT.....

Old 04-17-2005, 12:05 AM
RPM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Raptorlegs
Originally posted by: RPM If you think it is, then tell that to my Dead best friends little daughter.
Got killed at the dunes? What happened? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
It's not a pretty story. He was out riding his ATV and drinking every minute he wasn't riding. He was wearing his helmet, but that didn't keep his ATV from landing on him and breaking his back. The results were massive internal injuries followed by 4 months in the hospital. He came out of it paralyzed from the waist down. He couldn't deal with his injuries, and went back to drinking heavily on top of his medication. The end result was severe addiction problems. He fought with this for a few years but in the end decided that he couldn't deal with his condition without being drunk all of the time.

The whole story comes to an end one day when he decided that he couldn't live this way anymore and went to his storage unit, tied his dog up outside, turned on his tricked out Chevy Low-rider Truck, put in his favorite CD, and committed suicide from the exhaust gasses. This was his 3rd attempt and was unfortunately successful.

He never thought that there was anything wrong with him drinking while he was riding his ATV. He always used to joke about how he was a better rider when he had a 6 pack in him. The problem is that he never stopped at a 6 pack. He left a Wife and a Daughter that loved him, and a bunch of friends that will miss him. To all of us, the price for drinking and riding is just Too High.

Old 04-28-2005, 01:43 AM
Pro Rider

I think that I go there to ride and not drink, therefore if an alcohol ban is what it takes to keep ANYriding area open then so be it.

Old 05-07-2005, 05:09 PM
Range Rover

They should have done more before the ban. The sherffs have their hands full!! I go over all the time and always see no helmets and no flags! The one or two sherffs can enforce that! With the ORV tags going up this year The sheriffs should be out more in force stoping the easy targets.

Then attack the underage drinking and the nostop partiyng that goes on. I think there is more problem with the locals that just drive mom and dad's car out there to drink!!!

I just wish there were loins over there eating all the stupid people riding drunk , no helmets or riding gear. Where is Darwinism when you need it!!

Old 05-19-2005, 01:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

im tired of the couple dooshbags that have all the power over grant county passing laws and taking away peoples rights away. i am over 21 years of age which means i should be able to drink a god damn beer where i want. i used to spend 3 weekends of the year at moses lake and now i can proudly say i will never go back and there are lots more people like me that will choose to spend our money elsewhere where we have rights, i hope this ban fares well for grant county considering its already booming economy....idiots.

Old 05-19-2005, 01:54 AM
Pro Rider

When you get older you might understand. I say its better to have the place open than closed. If you don't like the rule wright the folks that are in charge. Also it will help if you don,t go off half cocked and sounding like a punk kid.
The alternative is to save your pennies and buy your own property to ride on.
BTW Do you go there to drink or ride?

Old 05-19-2005, 02:14 AM
RPM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: crunk i used to spend 3 weekends of the year at moses lake and now i can proudly say i will never go back and there are lots more people like me that will choose to spend our money elsewhere where we have rights, i hope this ban fares well for grant county considering its already booming economy....idiots.

Good. Since my intentions are to go there and have fun Riding my Quad instead of having to deal with a bunch of Drunks, it might be worth the trip now.

There is a time and a place for everything. Drinking has it's place, as does riding your Quad. The simple fact is that there is NO legitimate reason for the two to coincide with each other. If you can't handle going a day or two without drinking in exchange for some seat time on your ATV, then you have other "Issues".

Old 05-22-2005, 11:07 PM
Range Rover

I just got back from Moses Lake. The Sand was the best in years, nice lips to jump!!!! I was there Mid week till Sunday morning. There were alot less people there then the past rides. I know it was the weekend before the Memorial weekend but there is alot of people there the past 6 years. The Sheriffs were out in force but they, like always have there hands full with the FAST quads, the ones that don't need helmets or flags!!

For the first time in years I saw them suck out the bathrooms out there and clean them. Maybe all the ticket for drinking will keep the sand litter free also. The best thing was there were almost no power line racers all night!!!! I slept in till 9:00am each morning and at night all the drunks from town were not racing around in thier beaters so I went right to sleep.

I have "issuses" RPM. I ride my quad for about 2 hours in the morning and about 2 hours after lunch, then I sit around the camp fire tell lies about how fast and how high I can ride and enjoy a few cold beers. Now I pay the price for people who choose to risk thier lives and others when they mix alcohol and motors.

Quick Reply: WA: sheriff seeks sand dune alcohol ban