Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

WA: sheriff seeks sand dune alcohol ban

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 12:51 PM
RPM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WA: sheriff seeks sand dune alcohol ban

Originally posted by: theTICK I have "issuses" RPM. I ride my quad for about 2 hours in the morning and about 2 hours after lunch, then I sit around the camp fire tell lies about how fast and how high I can ride and enjoy a few cold beers. Now I pay the price for people who choose to risk thier lives and others when they mix alcohol and motors.
Unfortunately, your routine is the exception to the equation. It is those that drink too much and then instead of sitting around the camp fire talking about how fast they are or how far they flew, they end up back on their ATV's and doing damage to themselves, or worse, others.

Hope you still had fun riding anyway.

Old 05-23-2005, 10:54 PM
Range Rover

Shadyrascal,you are right in that respect.RPM,So you call me a drunk because I go out and ride all day, AND THEN PARK THE BIKE FOR THE NIGHT and sit around and have a few beers.I sit there and mind my own business and have to take flack for it.I DON'T THINK SO!I don't drink and drive.I do know how to use good judgment!And I'm not some snot nosed drunk,and I'm well over 21.But,if this is what it would take too keep an area open then, so be it.This ban too me just is'nt right though,just close my door and mind my own business,or sit around the fire and B.S.Who are you to judge,you did'nt create my @SS!!!!!!!!

Old 05-24-2005, 05:07 PM
RPM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: LostsoulRPM,So you call me a drunk because I go out and ride all day, AND THEN PARK THE BIKE FOR THE NIGHT and sit around and have a few beers.I sit there and mind my own business and have to take flack for it.I DON'T THINK SO!I don't drink and drive.I do know how to use good judgment!And I'm not some snot nosed drunk
Calm down there Sparky. Please see my post at the top of this page. OK, you get to be the exception too..... Have a NICE Day. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-27-2005, 06:43 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

He was out riding his ATV and drinking every minute he wasn't riding.
So it sounds like its YOUR friend who is ruining it for those of us who do like to crack a beer open in camp after riding all day..

Guess you shoulda said/done something BEFORE he took his life into his own hands, but now WE are the drunks who should explain it to his daughter why he's gone.. Hell, I cant explain to her why he didnt have any self control or cared for others.

IMO People need to learn personnel responsibility and thats the bottom line. Sorry to be so blunt, but dont try to guilt trip us into not stating our opinion.

I am sorry for his daughter though, its tragic to say the least.

RoostKing...

Old 05-27-2005, 02:24 PM
RPM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RoostKing So it sounds like its YOUR friend who is ruining it for those of us who do like to crack a beer open in camp after riding all day. Guess you shoulda said/done something BEFORE he took his life into his own hands, but now WE are the drunks who should explain it to his daughter why he's gone.. Hell, I cant explain to her why he didnt have any self control or cared for others.
You simply don't know the facts, therefore I will excuse your ignorance. The FACT is, at the time of the accident, we were NO Longer riding with him because he refused to ride without drinking. We tried for a long time, and when nothing else worked, we gave him a choice and he chose the alcohol. He had a serious drinking problem which included 2 DWI's and an auto accident while under the influence.

IMO People need to learn personnel responsibility and thats the bottom line. Sorry to be so blunt, but dont try to guilt trip us into not stating our opinion.
Taking Personal Responsibility, is what this is all about. The trouble comes from those who DON'T. Those that drink and ride, are being unfair to their riding group. The fact is that it is their friends that will have to deal with their injuries or possible death. I don't know about anyone else, but that isn't something that I want to have to deal with. I don't recall trying to guilt anyone into not stating their opinions. I am simply giving you one example of where drinking and riding your ATV has ended in tragedy and how it has effected many lives.

Don't get me wrong, the truth is there are other members of our riding group that like to have a few Beers after a hard day of riding. As I have said before, I don't have a problem with this activity. The trouble comes when the person or persons decide to get back on their ATV after having done so. The FACT is that it is illegal to drink and drive/ride.

Old 05-27-2005, 02:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The FACT is that it is illegal to drink and drive/ride.
Then why do we need more Laws?? Just enforce the ones on the books already.

RoostKing..

Old 05-28-2005, 02:24 AM
RPM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RoostKing
The FACT is that it is illegal to drink and drive/ride.
Then why do we need more Laws?? Just enforce the ones on the books already.

RoostKing..
How do you suppose they do that? Go campsite by campsite searching for alcohol? Stop everyone and test them? Is that what you really want them to do? Don't you think that would be more of a violation of your rights than to just ban alcohol all together in or around the riding area? I don't know, you tell me. That would certainly eliminate "Personal Responsibility" wouldn't it?

I don't have the answer to this dilemma, and until someone can come up with a better idea on how to keep people from riding their ATV's or any off-road vehicle for that matter, after consuming alcohol, I don't see too many other options. The only other way to go would either be to flood the place with law enforcement personnel or shut it ALL down. Seems to me it would be a lot easier to just not drink.