Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Banshee dune runners can you help me??!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005 | 06:25 AM
|
Range Rover
Default Banshee dune runners can you help me??!!!!!

I know some of you have probably already read this in the Yamaha forum but I wanted to post this here also to see if I can get more input on my problem from people that might have had this problem also.

I need some serious help. I've got 5 days until a major trip to the Oregon dunes and my shee won't idle.

The mods to the bike are as follows:

1996 Banshee
Toomey T5 pipes
Noss cool head
12 hrs on new top end rebuild (standard bore I believe)
20cc domes in cool head
stock carbs that have been flat bored to 28mm
Toomey carb tops
K&N individual air filters
Just re-jetted carbs to 300 (was running 270)
adjustable timeing plate
High flow water pump impellar

The carbs do have the aftermarket idle system installed but the ***** wont turn so I figured they were locked down in that position for a reason.

I was wondering if there was anyone out there that had the simular mods to their ride and might be able to tell me what I could do. But any help will be taken with great pride.

I've tried letting the bike warm up and even kept it running for a good 10 to 15 minutes to make sure it got nice and warm. But it will still die if you don't keep your thumb on the throttle.

Do I have to mess with the air-fuel mixture? Maybe the needle valve clip needs to be moved (I really don't know where the clip is on the needle right now).

I would like to get all of your suggestions first before I start messing around with things that I know nothing about on my carbs.

I live in the Rogue River Valley in Southern Oregon and this is the one and only trip that I'll be able to make this year to the dunes. I would like to have a dependable running bike and not have to work on it the whole trip.

Look forward to your replys.

Old 06-28-2005 | 10:47 AM
Pro Rider

Possibly the best advice I can give you is to find out which company made the idle system and give them a call.If anybody knows,they should.

Old 06-29-2005 | 05:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

In addition to the above....maybe, if bike was running before you messed with carbs, try reversing the two slides. I put them in wrong once and had the same problem. Will be good on top but no idle. The slides are cut a certain way and need to be installed correctly. It doesn't take that long to do. Maybe wortha shot. Just my two cents. Ignore me if thats not the problem.. lol

Old 06-29-2005 | 06:20 AM
|
Range Rover

I thought that I might have something in backwards before like the slides but they both have destinct grooves in the sides of them that there is only one way that they can be installed.

I wont ignore anyones advice for anyone's knowledge is helpfull.

Old 06-29-2005 | 01:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

True they can only go in one way, but what I was saying is to switch left with right and right with left. They fit both carbs but you might have fliped around the left for right. It kind hard to explain. But just take the slides out and reverse them...if it does the same thing or worse then i wasted your time, but if helps, maybe worth the time. Hope that helps.

Old 06-29-2005 | 03:42 PM
|
Range Rover

Originally posted by: muddynobs
True they can only go in one way, but what I was saying is to switch left with right and right with left. They fit both carbs but you might have fliped around the left for right. It kind hard to explain. But just take the slides out and reverse them...if it does the same thing or worse then i wasted your time, but if helps, maybe worth the time. Hope that helps.
I don't believe it would be a waste of time if it helps my shee become more dependable.

I talked with my local mech. and he said that with the port work that was done to it and all the other stuff included that I might need to move up to 27.5 on my pilot jets.

Would this be advisable or is there anything else I could do?

Old 06-29-2005 | 03:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sounds good. Im running 310 main and 35 pilot right now and found it to be a little rich. but awesome power. Maybe at least a 30 for your application on pilot, no? Hopefully you'll get it running soon.

Old 06-29-2005 | 04:07 PM
|
Range Rover

Mechanic said that seeing it's still on a standard bore that 30's might be too big for it. I still have to go through my Clymer book to find out where they're even located at in the carbs.

Old 07-17-2005 | 10:19 PM
Trailblazer

Not sure if you just changed the tops or not but, if you did, there is a button in the throttle housing for the TORS system that has to be removed or the bike will die when you let off the throttle.

Old 07-17-2005 | 11:52 PM
Trailblazer

if you just disconnected the tors system and replaced it w/ the toomey carb tops then all you have to do is unplug the tors box located just opposite where the coil is on the frame. your plug wires are on the right side and the tors box is on the left w/ a white plug. unplug it. this will eliminate the tors system. also in the carbs, you should definitely move up to a new 32.5 pilot jet. for the few bucks it is definitely worth it. my bike is almost identical to yours. i run a 290 and a 32.5 and it runs perfect. if you had the bike running good then all of a sudden it started running like crap then maybe some **** got in your fuel, open the carbs and check 'er out. sync your carbs and if they are good then i would bank on your problem being a carb adjustment/ problem or a tors prob. check your reeds, just take it apart. i learned a lot from my clymer manual, refer to it.