Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Idaho-Oregon need info!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2000, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are planning a spring trip to Idaho-Oregon in late May. Never been to either. Planning on hitting St. Anthonys, then heading out to Coos bay. I have a few questions pertaining to both:

Is the snow gone by late may? (do they have any snow?)

Is it warm enough to camp?

Can two people ride on one quad if they want?

Are helmets required?

Are state lisences required for each state?

I have been trying to call the BLM but line is always busy.

Thanks for any help.

Old 12-31-2000, 12:33 AM
Range Rover

I go to Coos Bay all the time, and should be able to answer most of your questions. Yes, the snow is long gone by late May, 'cause they don't get it very often down that far south. It should be plenty to warm to camp, we start going in march, and it's usually in the mid 50's by then in the day, and low 40's at night. You can ride two-up, and helmets are not required by anyone over 16, I believe. I've never been asked to see a license, and see kids riding all the time who are way to young to drive a car. Just make sure your bikes aren't too loud, and let it rip!

Old 12-31-2000, 11:19 AM
Pro Rider

Hi,
Thanks for the tips. I am planning on running the stock silencers. Hopefully that will do it.

I was wondering about licenses because when we went to Michigan, we had to buy license tabs for the quads to ride at Silver Lake. Every where else we have been, our Minnesota stickers have been good enough.

I am really getting excited about gonig! We are going to ask Toni's parents if they want to go too. Her mom and dad really liked the sand dunes in Oklahoma when we went together in '99. They ride double on his Arctic cat. He has foot pegs and a back rest set up for her. They don't like helmets either, that is up to them unless there is a law against it...

Thanks again.
phil

Old 12-31-2000, 03:12 PM
Trailblazer

I have never rode at Saint Anthonys but ride at Oregon all the time. Your orv sticker from the state you live in will be all that is needed to ride at Oregon as long as it is current.The dunes around coosbay all have a 93 decibil noise limit which with your stock silencer you will not have a problem. You can ride double on a quad but not a oddesey type vehicle unless you have seat belts for each passenger. You must also have a atv flag on any four wheel vehicle on the dunes (not two wheel though). As far as a age limit for operating a motorvehicle on the dunes is that if you are under 16 you must have a adult riding near you or watching you or you will recieve i think a 250$ fine if caught. If you have anymore questions please let me know and i should be able to answer them for you . You will have a blast at Oregon and if you can tell me what type of riding you prefer I can recommend a good area near coosbay to go to because they are about eight diffrent areas within 40 miles of eachother and each one is a little different.

Old 01-01-2001, 03:05 AM
Pro Rider

We like all types of riding, so we will probably do as many different areas as we can. We are especially looking forward to riding on the beach if we can. If I had to say I have a preference; I like areas that have trees better. Especially if there are tracks that wind around through. I also like doing technical hill climbs. For instance, a steep hill with an S curve, or some obsticale that must be worked around. We also like to be able to camp, and go riding, and ride back to the camper for lunch, nap, etc.
We also like to sit and watch hopped up quads drag racing and stuff.

Old 01-01-2001, 01:51 PM
Range Rover

There are no rules that I know of at St.Anthony. If you stay at the Sand Hills Resort camping area you will have trees to camp under, showers and laundry facility. The couple that run the place have some courtesy rules like not leaving after dark and keep your quad off the grass. Great place.

Old 01-02-2001, 06:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Philzie

If your going to St Anthonies and from there to Cooz bay, do yourself a favor and stop at Little Sahara rec area near Eureka Utah on your way. It offers 60,000 acres of open area with lots of dune riding, some nice big bowls, and sand mountians 700 verticle foot climb. If your on I-15 from Idaho its only about a 45 minute deture {Each way} from nephi. If you interested check out this website. www.planetsand.com It will tell you all about the area, or email me at utah@planetsand.com Hope you have a great time wherever you go.

Utah
99 400ex lots of mods
99 Banshee lots of mods
96 300ex stock

Old 01-02-2001, 08:34 PM
Pro Rider

Sand mountain looks awesome! I showed Toni and she is stoked to go there too. I hope we have enough time. We will have 16 days so I think we may be able to get down to Utah. We also are planning on checking out the California Redwoods (just looking, not riding...) so that will take up some of the riding time. Of course what if the motorhome breaks down (while we are at the dunes... hmmmm)???

Thanks for the great tips guys!

Old 01-03-2001, 01:49 PM
Pro Rider

Philzie,

Give us some notification when you will be at the dunes here in Utah, if you stop. This will give us yet another excuse to go riding. Its always nice to meet new people and show them the area..

Let us know..

Old 01-03-2001, 08:38 PM
Pro Rider

Sure! Thanks for the invite. We are thinking of moving the trip ahead to April now. Haven't set exact dates, but I will keep you in mind for sure.

Quick Reply: Idaho-Oregon need info!