Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Positraction question

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 03:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Positraction question

Folks,
I am looking to see if any one has a positraction rear end in a sand rail and to get your feedback regarding this verses a limited slip. I purchased a Joyner 1600cc with a Chinese Chery engine and trany. Why they put a positraction and not a limited slip is beyond me! I can soon buy a limited slip trany for around $1500, will this be worth it? I was wanting to put cutting brakes in this rail but I am being told not to since they won't do a thing with a posi rear end. I need to do something to make it easier to drive.
Thanks

Old 07-25-2007, 09:29 PM
Pro Rider
Default Positraction question

try planetsand.com probably alot more help there

Old 04-26-2021, 06:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by casper1977
Folks,
I am looking to see if any one has a positraction rear end in a sand rail and to get your feedback regarding this verses a limited slip. I purchased a Joyner 1600cc with a Chinese Chery engine and trany. Why they put a positraction and not a limited slip is beyond me! I can soon buy a limited slip trany for around $1500, will this be worth it? I was wanting to put cutting brakes in this rail but I am being told not to since they won't do a thing with a posi rear end. I need to do something to make it easier to drive.
Thanks
Your post is kind of confusing as posi traction and limited-slip are the same thing, positraction was just General Motors name for their limited slip differentials. I think maybe where the confusion lies is that you are talking about an open differential and you are calling it a limited-slip. If I'm right then it makes sense. A limited-slip differential has some method of biasing torque towards the wheel with traction instead of the wheel with no traction which is what an open differential does.. A a limited-slip(or positraction) even though it's trying to give power to both of the tires still has the ability to differentiate wheel speed so you can go around corners without scrubbing your tires.. So that being said although I have never tried cutting brakes on a rail with a limited slip differential I'm thinking that as long as you weren't under power cutting brakes should still work just like if you were driving around a corner. Now cutting brakes would not work at all if you had a spool which essentially locks both tires together all the time. Spools however are really only useful for the drag strip where you are racing in a straight line.. If you run a spool on pavement you would notice a chirping sound whenever you tried to drive around a corner that is because your tires can't spin different speeds so the tread of your tires slip on the pavement cuz something has to give since the outside wheel spins faster than the inside wheel when going around a corner.