Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Christmas Valley, Oregon

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 04:18 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Christmas Valley, Oregon

Hey everyone!

I'm headed to Christmas Valley this weekend with my family and some friends. I'm curious if dirt tires are preferred on these dunes over paddle tires. I've heard from some sources that the sand is nothing like the coast and is much harder, making paddles a little overkill. What do you guys have to say about this? Should I plan on using dirt or paddle tires over there? Also, I'm concerned about using a K&N with a pre-filter, will it be enough protection with all that dust? Thanks in advance!

Old 05-23-2008, 03:59 PM
Pro Rider

Comon', guys. I know someone knows or has been there...52 views and no answer?!

Old 05-23-2008, 08:34 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I haven't been but there is a write up in the July ATV Sport it is pretty good write up. Hope that helps.

My Aunt and Uncle have some land down there and they ride the dunes there all the time but they are on 4X4 quads. I know they don't run paddles.

Maybe PM Dragon on this forum he has been there and I am sure could help you more than me.

sorry

Old 06-04-2008, 05:45 PM
Pro Rider

Well the sand is quite different out there than on the coast that is forsure. I ended up bringing both paddle and dirt tires for the weekend just in case. It had rained randomly over the corse of the weekend keeping the sand wet enough to give great traction with dirt tires. Most of the people I rode with ended up switching to paddles to see the difference and thought they got too much traction and switched back to dirt tires. So for everyone who is interested, if it rains in Christmas Valley dirt tires will be best over paddles. I could tell that when the sand dried out it became much softer and paddles will defintly be a benefit during the summer or dry times. I was amazed at how hard it got when wet in contrast to how soft it got when dry. I seems that the soil over there has alot more silts and smaller particulates than at the coastal dunes that stick together when wet and get hard, but are very dusty and soft when dry. Anyways...hopes this helps everyone.