Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Oregon Sand Fest

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2001, 03:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont actually know if I will be going to during the sand fest, but I may be making a trip to the dunes in Oregon. I have one question. I know the authorities are strict when it comes to noise level from pipes. With my mods listed below, am I going to be hassled by the man? Mind you im not going to change anything to be legal in OR and I have heard they will shut you down or write tickets. Dont sugar coat it, either Im legal or not. And if not, Im going back to Glamis
(this time I will try not to bash my face!)

RoostKing...

Old 02-13-2001, 06:20 PM
Pro Rider

I have read in DirtWheels and such about the noise restrictions at Coos Bay. I am going there in April, and not taking any chances. I will be running my stock, "quiet" exhaust. It looks like a cool place to ride, so I won't let the rules bother me (at first anyway...)

Old 02-14-2001, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider

Don't advertise, be smart, and avoid!!!!

93 dB is the max limit, they'll give you 1 or 2 dB's on top of that for variances. With PCII's you'll be very close to that. Repack them before you go and play it smart if you know what I'm saying. Don't advertise, hey!!! Look at me, I'm loud!!! Be smart about it(see avoid and advertise). If you see the sound check guys--don't run it's felony flight for a $70 dollar ticket, but don't ride right up to them either. Times like SandFest and big holiday weekends are busy, you can look at it as more cover or hightened awareness from the Sound Check guys.

Most likely you'll be OK. In riding the Oregon Dunes for over 5 years, I have only been sound checked once...eee-hhhhmmm, luckily on the wife's bike and I blew a 94 dB and they said have a nice day.

One other trick...borrow someones really quite silencers, like Cascades CFX's, get a courtesy check, make you face known, and then put your own stuff back on. I haven't done it personally but have seen it done by other people.

Toomey T-5 stingers will ALWAYS get you sound checked.