Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

BEST DUNES

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2001, 02:00 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only dunes i have been to are the pismo dunes and i go there pretty regulary.
What are you favorite dunes and why?
Im guessing glamis is the biggest and best but when looking at pics of saint anothony's and oregon they look really nice.
Saint anthony's are huge.
I plan on making a trip to some dunes sometime and am wondering what ones. I think ill go to oregon since they are on the coast and the trees and everyhting seem nice.

Old 08-02-2001, 01:24 PM
Pro Rider

I'm spending next week at Pismo. You going to be there? Pizmos dunes are the most FUN in my opinion, and it's the best place if you are taking a family. Glamis has the largest area and is most spectacular. You can ride all day (even with the closures) and never ride the same thing twice. A lot of the dunes are medium to large size, compared to Pizmo. Dumont dunes are HUGE, but the riding area is more limited. Visit them all!!!

Old 08-02-2001, 03:21 PM
Pro Rider

Nope i wish i was if i could drive i would be there every weekend.

Old 08-02-2001, 03:25 PM
Range Rover

Need to cast my vote for St. Anthony, Idaho.. You are constantly challenged. Even the dunes have dunes.. Then there are the Wiches Eyes that are numerous and dangerous. Have not been to Glamis. We will be there next year and might change my vote at that time.

Old 08-02-2001, 05:29 PM
Pro Rider

"Even the dunes have dunes" That's funny but true. St. Anthony is my favorite as well but still a lot of places left to try.

Old 08-02-2001, 05:53 PM
Range Rover

All you Cali guy's are making me jealous! I live about two hours from the Silver Lake sand dunes on the shore of Lake Michigan. It's a lot of fun for us but if you all came there you would probably think it really sucked. We only have 450 acres to ride on, the rest is a walking area and there is a part that no one does anything on it, but for some reason we can't ride on it. There is also a pretty big dune formation a litle farther north called the sleaping bear dunes that we can't ride on either. The greenies have it so you can't even ride a jet ski within a mile of the shore. So at Silver Lake we have people from all over Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, even Wisconsin and New York. Things are getting pretty crazy up there. You have to get a voucher the night before if you want to ride. Last week we arived at the voucher station at 9:00pm and didn't even get a voucher. We had to come back on Sat. morning and wait for a "stand by voucher". My point is not to tell you how bad Silver Lake is, I'm thankfull that we have what we do, but all you guys out west should really appreciate how well you have it. Have fun!

Old 08-02-2001, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

We have some incredible dunes that are closed. Several areas got sucked up in the Mojave National Park (thanks Bill Clinton!!). The North half of Glamis got closed back when, and now they want to close the rest. The Kelso Dunes, got closed because THE WIND RUSHING OVER THE DUNES MAKES A SOUND THAT ISN'T HEARD ANYWHERE ELSE IN THE WORLD...now that's really pitifull...like someone is going to hike out there on foot, knee deep in sand for 20 miles to hear the wind...

Old 08-02-2001, 07:26 PM
Pro Rider

yzman i didnt know about all those dunes being close.
So many people go to the dunes but dont do anything to keep them open. IM only 16 but i know the consequences of not taking care of the dune. I alway pick up my trash and trash that ah been left around me.

Im selling my R to get cr125. I saw ur name yz.
How do u like bikes in the dunes??

Old 08-02-2001, 07:46 PM
Pro Rider

My pic of L.S, Utah and Saint Anthonys in my signature. You be the judge!!

Old 08-02-2001, 08:40 PM
Pro Rider

<< yzman i didnt know about all those dunes being close.
So many people go to the dunes but dont do anything to keep them open. IM only 16 but i know the consequences of not taking care of the dune. I alway pick up my trash and trash that ah been left around me.

Im selling my R to get cr125. I saw ur name yz.
How do u like bikes in the dunes??
>>

People are fighting to keep the dunes open join the ASA
http://www.glamisonline.org/
Bikes due fine with padles and a flag

Quick Reply: BEST DUNES