Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Silver Lake Sandunes in Michigan

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2002, 10:52 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gregv, have you checked at the DNR's website ?

i know that ive read it somewhere, something about 45* angle, 45 inches away or something along them lines, i know they have it all spelled out there somewhere, but i;ll be damned if i can remember exactly,

id start there and see if you can email them, if they dont have it on there website.

Old 02-08-2002, 12:24 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i went a few times last year on saturdays and sundays. ive heard that during the week and off season dnr arent even there. anyone know the details?

Old 02-08-2002, 02:26 AM
Trailblazer

The info I got after talking for 20 minutes long distance with the DNR people and getting a lot of "wait, let me see" answers, is that they're going to use the "20 inch test", like in Oregon. That means a decibel meter pickup 20 inches straight back from the tip of the muffler, at a 45 degree angle. They sometimes use a string attached to the sound pickup to standardize the distance, and avoid measuring every time. Those from Oregon that have been busted by this system please feel free to join in.

I have an industrial db meter, and I find that if I stay seated on the bike and keep my legs close to my pipe, it lowers db output by 1-2 db. I also find that I get extra noise from my straight intake (no airbox). If I put the airbox on, the db level doesn't change at the rear, but the "perceived" amount of noise by someone standing to the side or front of the bike is noticiably lower. Maybe enough to keep the ranger and his tester away? don't know.

Looks like it will be another thing to worry about this year.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 02-08-2002, 05:24 PM
Range Rover

ive never been there on the weekend, and the DNR is always there (not that its a bad thing, there was a couple of kids going the wrong way-on purpose in the dunes- and got busted) if you just obey the few simple rules and pay attention to what you're doing they wont even look at ya, not even if you're doing a one-wheeled-wheelie right next to them all they way around the circle,

seriously tho, did anybody else happen to see the nice looking blonde officer that was there in 2000, she wasn't there in 2001 and the guy that replaced her wasn't nearly as good looking,

Old 02-13-2002, 05:24 PM
Range Rover

Hey guys
I go to the Oregon dunes regularly and we have been dealing with noise for some time. In Oregon they use a db meter attatched to a string to give the set distance from the exhaust, then they have a inductive(clamp on) tach they put on your spark plug wire and I beleive they check you at 50% of your stock rated redline (Correct me if I'm wrong) they carry a book that shows this.
They usually give about 2 db leeway for equipment error. Most of your regular silencers will not pass the 93-94 limit. +Compression,no air box...usually=more noise.
We have a company here called "cascade Innovations" they make fancy seat covers and billett stuff, they also make the CSF/X silencers. We have found these to usually pass noise and still allow built motors to develop alot of h/p. their silencers work with most banshee pipes, on other types get the silencers and have a muffler shop help with the stinger tube(usually pretty simple). Hope this helps.
Noise limits are kind of a pain, but if it helps keep the dunes open I'll do what I have to !!!!!

Old 02-13-2002, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider

This is what's on the DNR's web page. 94 db NOT 92 db

I know the sound level for ORVs in 94 Db. Where do I go to get the sound level checked for my ORV to make sure it is quiet enough?

Answer
You may be able to contact your local law enforcement agency, (city, county, township) and have them check your ORV.

The wording in the ORV statute is as follows. "Unless the vehicle is equipped with a spark arrester type United States forest service approved muffler, in good working order and in constant operation. Exhaust noise emission shall not exceed 86 Db(A) or 82 Db(A) on a vehicle manufactured after January 1, 1986, when the vehicle is under full throttle, traveling in second gear, and measured 50 feet at right angles from the vehicle path with a sound level meter which meets the requirement of ANSI S1.4 1983, using procedure and ancillary equipment therein described; or 99 Db(A) or 94 Db(A) on a vehicle manufactured after January 1, 1986, or that level comparable to the current sound level as provided for by the United States environmental protection agency when tested according to the provisions of the current SAE J1287, June 86 test procedure for exhaust levels of stationary motorcycles, using sound level meters and ancillary equipment therein described. A vehicle subject to this part, manufactured or assembled after December 31, 1972 and used, sold, or offered for sale in this state, shall conform to the noise emission levels established by the United States environmental protection agency under the noise control act of 1972, Public Law 92-574, 86 Stat. 1234."

This means that for a motorcycle or ATV, you should use SAE test procedure J1287, June 86.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-28-2002, 11:03 PM
Trailblazer

Hey GregV,

Thanks for all of that info but I am having a hard time understanding about the new law according to what you mentioned above. I have a FMF Powercore IV slip-on pipe for my 400ex and am wondering since I do have a U.S.F.S. approved spark arrester will I be okay to use it in the dunes? I think my pipe puts out somewhere around 98-99 dB's verses stock is like 89dB's I think. Do you think that I will be okay? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Fourtracker14

Old 03-09-2002, 07:31 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Hey Greg, like one of the others posted, there's a 1/2 throttle reading or somewhere around there. I just picked up one of those Radio Shack meters last week and was wondering also what they were going to use. Does anyone know???? Last year was my first dune trip out there (sigh, needed to take a moment) and I hope I didn't buy paddles for nothing...hmmm maybe Pismo. Hope someone can answer the meter Q.

Thanks,
Ken

Old 03-09-2002, 11:02 AM
Range Rover

have you looked at the dnr's website, modquad?

they have most of it spelled out there, not sure about what meter they are going to use but it is at a 45* angle at 20 inches, half the rated RPM's for the motor

Old 03-09-2002, 06:52 PM
Range Rover

imadunatic, are you going on good friday? i was wondering if it was open on good friday. thanks .

Quick Reply: Silver Lake Sandunes in Michigan