Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Silver Lake Sandunes in Michigan

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2002, 09:29 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just wondering if anyone has ever been there and how was it?

Old 01-16-2002, 12:52 AM
Trailblazer

I'd like to hear all I can about Silver Lake too!

I'm planning a major dune 'trek' across the states in late spring and I'm trying to figure out my stops. I'll be as far east as eastern Kansas (see family), wouldn't be much to take 70 across and then head up there... hwy 80 back home... I think i'm talking myself into it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-16-2002, 06:41 AM
Pro Rider

In MI it's all we got (for dunes) so we LOVE IT! It's 450 acres of sugar sand on the shores of Lake Michigan about 45 minutes north of Muskegon. Required for entry: ORV permit, $16.25; motor vehicle permit, $4 per day/#20 annual both quad and tow vehicle; and an approved dune flag, $17 at David Allen racing which is just across the street.NEW FOR 2002 is mandatory sound checks, nothing over 94 dB gets in. This has been a state law for all 3000 miles of state trails, but has rarely (ever?) been enforced. Check out www.oceana.net for more info on the area such as lodging, camping, etc. We try to go for at least two weeks a year plus as many weekends as we can squeeze in. So far my best time is 2 hours 43 minutes from my driveway to the parking lot. The riding area opens April 1 and closes October 31. Off season rates are usually available throught the end of June and start back up after Labor Day. Check out some pictures of BansheeBrads trip at http://users.nky.net/~brad/SilverLake/index.htm

Old 01-16-2002, 10:02 PM
Range Rover

Hey 95 warrior, before you take a trip there, post it, it would be kinda cool to meet up with fellow duners we've never met except online. im only about 90 minutes due west of s.l. and love it, i try to go whenever the boss (uh...wife) lets me.

Old 01-17-2002, 03:33 PM
Eq
Trailblazer

<< Hey 95 warrior, before you take a trip there, post it, it would be kinda cool to meet up with fellow duners we've never met except online. im only about 90 minutes due west of s.l. and love it, i try to go whenever the boss (uh...wife) lets me. >>

Post before you go, I am about 2 hours from the dunes and would love to meet up with some more people.

Imadunatic- Do you mean due EAST?? SL is on the water to the west. Do you own an island? hehe I am in the detroit/ann arbor area.

Old 01-17-2002, 07:40 PM
Pro Rider

Weidman is northwest of Mt. Pleasant, so he probably means east. We tentatively looking at one of the last weeks in June, 2002. Still off season rates and still pretty quiet, just before the July 4th crush. You guys still running stock pipes, or are you going to try to get an aftermarket setup in?

Old 01-17-2002, 11:47 PM
Range Rover

no, i live out on a boat, wandering at sea, just me, and my quad, and a dog named boo!
what i wanted to say was that silver lake is due west, but it made for a good laugh anyhow, thanx for helping me out 95 warrior,

Also one thing ive noticed the last couple of years is that the dunes are nice and sharp (perfect for airing it out) before the 4th of july, after that they are great for trucks, somewhat boring on a quad, Unless you go after a wind storm. If you're not into jumping then anytimes a dune good time to go.

and i think an hour and a half due west would almost put me in wisconsin, (man i like cheese)

95 warrior, have you had your Raptor to S.L. yet? If so do you run paddles? What kind?

As far as pipes go I'll be stock,(isnt the Raptor 93db. stock?) just sold my 2000 scrambler to buy a 2002 Raptor and im waiting for warmer weather to buy one, its break in will most likely be in the dunes, im hoping to have it before Good Friday, thats our annual First Trip of the Season (Carharts a must) Last year it was about 45* sitting still and much colder when moving but at least the sun was out.

Anytime somebody is going, just post it here, it might be convienant(?)

Talk to ya later.

Old 01-18-2002, 07:41 AM
Pro Rider

I'm currently running 20&quot; 9 paddle Skat-Trak Haulers on Douglas .125's with the stock tires on front. I had Skat-Trak Mohawks on the front, but the Haulers pulled them up too much to maintain decent control.

I hear ya on the cold weather riding. We were there for 4 days in October, and on the last day we FROZE. Winds were about 30 mph out of the west, temps were upper 30's/lower 40's and cloudy. After that trip I'm thinking about a set of GYT-R handguards to keep my hands out of the wind. Even with two pairs of gloves on, they were numb. We were always 3rd gear pegged because with 30 mph winds, the sand was always smooth and flyin' was a breeze. The beach was wrecked though, too much water. The trip was a blast, 125 miles of riding in 6 hours (thanks TrailTech).

If you can, plan on getting the ProDesign air filter setup and Dynojet kit. It adds noticable power throughout the range and doesn't increase the sound level[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img].

Old 01-18-2002, 12:24 PM
Eq
Trailblazer

R either of you going to be there on the opening weekend?? April 5-7... This will be my first time ever there on a quad. Used to take my buggie up there, but it is gone now.

Pipes - I am debating on pipes for the first few times I go. I am thinking of the FMF Fattys w/Q series silencers, Toomey T5's with hushkit or just screw it and get the CPI Inframe drag pipes. That should put me at about 93-95 with the fattys, hope I pass. If I dont put them on right away, I am dropping one size tooth in the front for a little more pick and power for the hills.

Old 01-18-2002, 01:16 PM
Range Rover

if i have my quad by then, we usually go on Good Friday anyhow, whats a few days earlier? Im sure my riding buddies will be up to it, i'll let you know ahead of time when i get my raptor, as long as ive got a quad im ready to go, but be sure to pack warm clothes, unless its one of them freak years where its 65* (wouldnt that be awesome) any how the next few months will tell.

Quick Reply: Silver Lake Sandunes in Michigan