Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Silver Lake Require Sound Test??

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2002, 05:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i went saturday. the morning dnr guys dont check for sound just spark arrestor. after about 2pm whole new story. dnr guys on second shift are %ickheads. raptor with fmf passed at 98db. hard to believe because that thing is loud. they put little wire thing on plastic and have you rev it until it vibrates. they go by book for rpm numbers. when i got close to the vibration or a little beyond it they had me rev it down. they had me rev it down and i hit 98 db with ported 250r with fmf. 94 db is the baseline and they allow +/- 4db. keep silencer freshly packed. if you were to go a little over like 99 or 100 db just put choke on and it will drop 1 or 2 db. rags in airbox will also drop it 1 or 2 db. on friday the dnr let 250r atc in without spark arrestor and told him get one or he wouldnt get in saturday. if young dnr are working lookout. 30 ish dnr guys seem to be really cool and relaxed about the whole thing. those young guys really have a chip on their shoulder.

Old 06-03-2002, 05:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's good info ATC86R - thanks! maybe I should repack my silencer before heading up there. It's been over a year now since i installed my W.B. E series.

Maybe the quiet core insert that I just ordered will help out alot too?!

Old 06-03-2002, 06:12 PM
Pro Rider

Funny that you would mention the quiet core insert- cause I just got the new style quiet core#2. I tried it out at Silver Lake and it worked pretty good, really good as a matter of fact, a lot better than the original version. I used it for an hour or so with twelve discs behind it. I was surprised at how little it affected the top end - unlike the original version. When I saw that officials weren't testing I took it out and replaced it with two extra discs I had in the tool box. Just my luck that's when they started testing. It was cool to find that I could pass the sound test without the insert. I think that after the fresh packing starts to blow out I'll be able to pop that insert back in and still pass the test. I think that the performance shop at the entrance to the park should start stocking those inserts because I'm sure they'll have customers in need of them.

Old 06-03-2002, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider

The quiet core that I ordered is the "quiet core 2" also!!!! I'm glad to hear that - I was told that it doesn't cut down the noise like the old style (by 1 db) but it did not cut down on performance like the old style did either.

Thanks again dude - I'm feeling better already!!

Old 06-03-2002, 10:50 PM
Range Rover

Are they kick'n you out if you dont pass? Or do they just give you a ticket and let ya ride

Old 06-04-2002, 01:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no get in. i heard but not seen that ticket is also issued. definetaly dont get in. if raptor with fmf gets in just about anything will. they seem to pick on dirtbikes.

Old 06-06-2002, 08:37 PM
Pro Rider

Just got my Oceana paper in the mail today. There's a guest column in the editorial section with a wonderful sob story. Some guy spent $2000 (!) on his buggie's exhaust system so it would pass sound check, and it didn't! Check it out: Disappointed dune user The interesting thing is the buggy owner lives in Silver Lake, like he didn't know the limit is going to be 94 dB eventually. Most buggies I see there have a pipe aimed at the sky; good luck trying to quiet that down.