Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Walden closed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2002, 01:06 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My riding buddy heard a nasty rumor that Walden has been closed due to the extreme fire hazard, tell me it ain't true [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 06-21-2002, 11:49 AM
Pro Rider

DSJockey. Well, I hope it's not. I was there last Saturday and it was open. I'm planning to go there tomorrow but I guess I better call the NFS to be sure.

Hey, where you been hiding anyway. When you come out and ride??? You know summer only lasts about 2 months around here - gotta make the best of it.

Old 06-21-2002, 12:13 PM
Pro Rider

I just called the forrest service in Walden and the lady there checked around and called me back and said that that is just a rumor. You can ride there. There are no campfires allowed though.

I got this off a 4x4 website though:

/10/02: Bad News from Colorado: Pike National Forest and Bureau of Land Management (BLM) public lands are closed for all uses in Douglas, Jefferson, Park, Teller, and El Paso Counties. Persons are prohibited from being on, or driving on any National Forest or BLM lands. Refer to Order No. 02-07, effective 12 AM MDT, June 10, 2002"

Walden is in Jackson county so it is not affected but if people are planning activities in the places above they may want to check with the BLM or NFS.

Old 06-21-2002, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider

Hey WyoDuner, well I got wild and crazy and decided to buildup the DS, it's the first time so my timeing wasen't too great but there will be UPS and Fedex trucks showing up here all week and the thing will be back together by next week end?, plans are to leave on the 3rd for St. Anthony's for a long week end then I want'ed to hit Walden and we wanted to hit Kilpecker too just to get it going, I'll get the BLM Kremling # and call them see if they know, you guys getting smoked by Hayman? we're getting a lot of smoke and ash

Old 06-21-2002, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for caling WyoDuner, glad to hear that it isn't closed and hope it dosen't close, I'll be on the sand soon

Old 06-23-2002, 03:13 PM
Pro Rider

yea walden is open, i've been there 4 of the last 6 weeks so it's open.
what r u doing to ur ds??? hey u should come to rock springs w/ demonds, batoutahell, wyo, and i on july 13. post when u go to walden i would like to hook up and ride w/ a fello member.

Old 06-24-2002, 01:09 PM
Pro Rider

<< what r u doing to ur ds??? >>

A lot, it will be fast, right now I'm not sure when I'll be up but should be in July, Mom's going in for surgury July 1st so it's play it by ear, I will be out riding and will hook up with you guys, just can't say which week for sure right now

Old 06-24-2002, 02:39 PM
Pro Rider

Disturbed660 and I were there on Saturday - nice as could be; even the mosquitos aren't bad this year.

You should really think about going to Rock Springs with us on July 13th, We're just doing the Sat/Sun quick trip but it should be fun. Let us know how the build-up goes.

Also, no smoke or ash up here in Cheyenne - clear as a bell. There is nothing to burn here so we're pretty safe. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I haven't been down to Denver since the fires started but I hear it's no fun.

Old 06-24-2002, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider

<< You should really think about going to Rock Springs with us on July 13th, >>

I think I'll be able to make that, might even have my swing arm from Timmy Boy by then

Old 06-25-2002, 02:27 AM
Pro Rider

ok guys new news from walden.....NEXT year it could be closed, but has of right now this is what the they say... on busy weekends 1,500 max and we will pay a fee pre visit and they are looking to close some of the dunes. no bull!!! .... the town of walden is getting mad at the # of people getting hurt/dying and no one there to &quot; watch &quot; the them. they are also cracking down and the drinking and drug use. any way thats what the town said so....
alot huh like what?... u got to tell us!!!!

Quick Reply: Walden closed?