Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

beer in the oregon dunes

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2003, 02:52 PM
RPM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default beer in the oregon dunes

I'm going to step up and say that I think the NO-Alcohol Rule is GREAT!!! All of the Garbage is just one of the issues to consider.

It's not legal to Drink and Drive out on the roadways, so why should it be OK to Drink and Drive/Ride out on the Dunes?

We are talking about motorized and in some cases very powerful vehicles here. I was at Sand Lake last weekend, and there were so many people there (A lot of them being children) that it was to the point of being dangerous. Just add a bunch of Alcohol, and you have a prescription for some serious damage to be done.

Now before anyone starts in about how I am just against Drinking Alcohol, I'm not. I just think that there is a time and a place for it, and out running around in the Dunes on a Quad/Motorcycle/Buggy/ or Truck is neither the Time or the Place. When we go out for a day at the Dunes, we usually make it a group happening, including the Niece's and Nephew's. The last thing that I want to do is have them, one get injured as a result of someone that has over indulged, and two, have them see the way idiots behave when they have over indulged.

Hey, if it keeps the Drunks home instead of at the Dunes, I think we will all be better off.

Old 04-02-2003, 05:08 PM
Elite Pro Rider

i'm not against the drinking either but when i go ride with my kids, it isn't hard to decide what is more important. my point was poeple made it easy for them to make the rule. every once in a while you will see a water bottle or pop can. but it is out numbered by beer 25-1

Old 04-02-2003, 05:10 PM
Pro Rider

if people need to drink that bad while camping wait until your done riding and once you got all your gear off and sitting by the fire then crack open a beer and relax. but you don't need beer out on the dunes.

Old 04-02-2003, 11:50 PM
Trailblazer

well here is my 2 cents worth, I agree somewhat with what you are saying, but this law banning all achohol is not the answer the way they have it set-up now, if you are very familliar with the oregon dunes you know it is getting busier all the time (believe me I live in North Bend and was raised in Winchester Bay) it was visited by over 700,00 atver's last year alone, with more and more people showing up camping has become a problem, so people has started camping on the sand, with no generator rules and a place where there kids can ride in front of there camp all day in the sand. for these law abiding people they are being punished by not letting them enjoy a beer after a good ride, or even a glass of wine for dinner simply because they are forced to camp on the sand becuase there is no place else to go.. now is this fair to be treated like this on public land?? land that you, I and fellow tax payers own?? I know the garbage and the "kids" or people that want to act like "kids" are the big problem but in my oppinion peole should be held accountable for there actions if you leave garbage on the sand where you were camped you should be prosicuted. As far as no paper in the bathroom kinda makes you wonder what you just paid the $5.00 parking fee for huh?? but hey that is just my 2 cents...

www.sandwizards.com ----Check it out, you might just like it----

Old 04-03-2003, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider

Very good point wizard. Thats the main reason i think they went the wrong way with the no alcohol rule. On the big weekends there are hundreds of people just camping out on the sand at Hauser alone. And not they can't have any alcohol in their camps, or there will be big fines, really big fines. What fun is going to the dunes and camping with the guys with no evening beverages. A sausage fest with no alky is no fun. Im glad i have a house with dune access at Saunders. Can rid at all hours, no alcohol worries, because there are no rangers there. We are afraid to go to any of the more populated places because of those wanna be cops. My freind had a Yosh slip on his z400 and got a huge sound ticket last weekend. Its rediculous.

Old 04-03-2003, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider

Sandwizard1 checked out your site. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] Seems like the Club thing is getting pretty popular.
Our groups should plan a ride sometime[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Ok id rather have them take away some alcohol priveliges than take away ANY riding priveliges. I personally dont go to the dunes to drink, its just an added bonus at the end of the day when we are done with riding.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-03-2003, 12:46 AM
Trailblazer

RSO660R, sounds cool we have been an unorganized group for a long time and recently we have decided to become organized. thanks for the compliment on the site, we have a couple of guys that are working there butt off to make it look as good as they can and I think they are doing a damn fine job too.. as far as hooking up groups that would be cool we meet several times a summer usually at spinreel for up to a week at a time. go to our site and e-mail me wizard1 on the contacts page if you would like to hook up this summer!!!

Old 04-03-2003, 01:16 AM
Range Rover

Hey wizard1 I think thats why from now on in the summer time you have to reserve your spot at the campgrounds. So the over crouding is only from people waiting until the last minute to go. I can't always set a date months ahead but when I have a good idea when I can get off I always start looking on reserveusa.com!!!!!!!!!! I would love to see more camp sites availble and no sand camping!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At least thats my thoughts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-03-2003, 01:43 AM
Trailblazer

myself personally i think that the reservation stuff is a bunch of BS it should be a first come first serve.... and as far as no camping on the sand?? what about the people that come to the sand that cannot afford to pay $13-17 a nite for a camp spot for sometimes just a tent?? remember this is public land EVERYONE should be allowed to use it, even those without the financial resources....

Old 04-03-2003, 06:49 AM
RPM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Wizard1
myself personally i think that the reservation stuff is a bunch of BS it should be a first come first serve....
What about those that travel a great distance to come and ride at the much talked about Oregon Dunes? Who is going to drive from 5 to 10+ hours just to get there and have no place to stay? Several of the camp sites have set aside "First Come" camp spots, but you have to have some spots that can be Reserved.

As far as not being able to sit down and have a Beer or glass of Wine after a long day of riding is concerned, the trouble is that Most people Don't stop at one Beer or one Glass of Wine. It's usually more like a half rack and a 5th.

How many people have gone camping and had to put up with some Idiot being loud and obnoxious until all hours of the morning, because they didn't stop after their One Beer with dinner. The last time I went camping, the local Sheriff had to show up at about 2:30 in the morning to haul away some Drunk who had just finished beating up his equally Drunk Wife. Boy some people sure know how to have FUN.

If it was just about having a drink after a long day of riding, then great, but we all know that isn't how it usually goes. Hey, it all comes down to Personal Responsibility, and unfortunately there are just too many irresponsible people out there that don't know when enough is enough and they unfortunately are the ones setting policy for all of us.

I would like to think that people could have fun at the Dunes without "HAVING" to Drink Alcohol. If anyone can't go 2 or 3 days without Alcohol, then they have other Issues.

Quick Reply: beer in the oregon dunes