Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Oregon Dunes Trip

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2003, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oregon Dunes Trip

Hey all...

Im planin to head up to the Oregon Dunes at the end of May. Can you guys that have been there fill me in on the best place to stay up there? I'll have my wife and kids with me...so id like to stay away from the party spots! I have a 26ft weekend warrior...so hooks up would be nice as well. Thanks in advance for any help u can throw my way! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-19-2003, 12:15 PM
GAR
Trailblazer

I'm assuming you are going to Coos Bay. Try Horsfall for public camping and the KOA at Hauser for private camping. Both have great access to the dunes. Try the web site sandboxtoys for good info and links.

Old 04-20-2003, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider

Spinreel (Florence)
Honeyman (Florence)
Discovery point (Winchester Bay)

I'm sure there are some others I am forgetting about.

Old 04-20-2003, 04:00 PM
Pro Rider

Hmmmm....so now im findn out there is more than one set of dunes to ride up there??? I think i need to get a good map!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 04-21-2003, 04:11 PM
Range Rover

There are three riding areas on the South Coast. Family oriented spots on a holiday weekend (was assuming Memorial, since you said end of May) would include Spinreel. If you don't mind trucking the bikes a couple miles, staying at William Tugman State Park is great. It is quiet, much better for the fam!
The area around Horsfall gets pretty wild because boxcar is just over the hill. I stay at Hauser (in the sand) which is in between Horsfall and Spinreel. There is a KOA down the road from Hauser, but I would bet it is fillin up fast. I had to apply for my sand camping permit (Hauser) in January to get a spot in the sand!

What day are you planning on arriving? For how long?

Old 04-22-2003, 03:19 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: rivermobster
Hmmmm....so now im findn out there is more than one set of dunes to ride up there??? I think i need to get a good map!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Different southern dunes to ride on;
Florence
CoosBay
Winchester Bay.

Sand Lake is up north, but is mainly a sand box, and I don't go there much anymore. Too small, and too many idiots out there.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 04-22-2003, 12:17 PM
Range Rover

If you go to this site: http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/siuslaw/oregon dunes/ (copy and paste into browser, remove the space between "/oregon dunes/" ) you will find a lot of info on ODNRA.

Old 04-24-2003, 12:16 AM
Range Rover

The only 2 campgrounds that I know of that have full hook-ups are "Wohink lake and rv park" (800)659-6454 located on hwy 101 in the middle of the florence dunes, and the other one is "discovery point campground" (541)-271-3443 which is located just off hwy 101 and is at Winchester bay.

"Horsefalls" campground is located at the very south end of the Oregon dunes (coos bay) and "spinreel" is located about 12 or 15 miles north, niether have hook-ups that I'm aware of. I like staying at "Spinreel", it's good riding all the way back down to south end.

You can find the "spinreel" and "Horsefalls" campgrounds on the www.reserveusa.com website for availability and other info.

Old 04-24-2003, 02:39 PM
Pro Rider

I understand the most of the places mentioned above are already full. If you have a 4x4, you might just airdown and yard your trailer out on the Sand like many of us do. With the alcohol Ban in effect after May 1, the parties should be somewhat limited.

There's a bunch of people discussing this same thing on SandLakeDuners.com....click on the "Florence/Coos Bay/Winchester Bay" forum.

Old 04-24-2003, 02:43 PM
Range Rover

Boy, is it ever going to be crowded at the "exempt" sand camping areas!

Quick Reply: Oregon Dunes Trip