Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Planning trip to dunes at Moses Lake......????

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 02:35 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planning trip to dunes at Moses Lake......????

Hello,
My family and I are planning our first trip there and I'm wondering if anyone knows about any noise restrictions or anything like that. I've heard from a couple people that they are cracking down on ATV's over there and I would rather avoid any potential problems. Any help is appreciated!
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-05-2003, 04:16 PM
Pro Rider

I used to ride there all the time, but it's been years ago. If you go Memorial day, be prepared, it's a huge party with a lotta drunken fools. I hear they started trying to keep it under control recently. I don't think there's any noise restrictions, because you're a long way from town and the only ones you'd bother are other duners. The dunes aren't real big but there's still some decent riding there. They don't discourage ATV's or riding by any means, they just discourage idiocy which is not in short supply. I always thought the ATV cops there were pretty cool. They had helmet law and flag law when I rode there but that's about it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-05-2003, 04:41 PM
Range Rover

Lots of foolish riders and St helens ash......quite a combo huh !!!!! They need to crack down over there it is a good place to get hurt.
I havn't heard about requirements tho... I havn't been there in a several years and I used to go march-april to avoid a few of the nuts....
Oregon dunes are so much better riding !!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-05-2003, 06:13 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Thanks for the info! Glad to hear there aren't any noise restrictions, my husband's bike is really loud.
We are actually going over there the weekend after memorial day. I kinda figured it would be a big party for the holiday and since our 8 year old daughter is coming with us, we decided to skip that weekend.
We are planning on a Florence trip the end of June. I can't wait for that, I heard it's awesome down there! We are kinda new to ATV's so we are always looking for good places to ride.

Old 05-06-2003, 05:16 AM
Pro Rider

moses lake doesn't check sound as far as i know and it is like they said above, a little rowdy time-to-time. watch out for drop-offs on the back side of dunes there... i've had friends hurt on them.

oregon dunes is awesome, but they do crack down on the sound occasionally.

other NW duning spots to include would be Beverly, Juniper and Sand Lake. on the west side of the hills there's more trail riding than anything.... tahuya, capital forest, reiter, walker valley, & more.

Old 05-06-2003, 01:04 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Thanks for the warning about the drop offs. Those things can be a real pain, literally.
We went to Beverly dunes last weekend. It was fun but kinda small. Personally, I like more MX and dunes riding than trail riding. The last time I went trail riding I ran my husband’s DS up a tree. I had no idea those things could climb trees so well! I haven’t had much desire to trail ride since.
But I can’t wait until that new indoor track opens in Renton. From what I heard it should be sometime in June.
Hey airraptor, that sucks about your friend’s raptor being stolen. We’ll keep an eye out for it.

Old 05-06-2003, 05:31 PM
Pro Rider

There are no noise restrictions. I used to have open headers on my sandrail.

Have a flag and helmet, they will get you on those points.
Sometimes they check registrations too, but I've never been checked. My sandrail was never registered, and I ran it there for two years.

I'll be in Moses Lake in two weeks. I'm looking forward to Memorial Day weekend-- I have not missed it for four years now. But it is not a family weekend...

Old 05-06-2003, 11:18 PM
Range Rover

Moses Lake is a fun spot to go riding. The dunes are not that tall but there is alot of places to ride around.
I have been going over there for about 10 yrs now. The Holiday weekends are a mess. The sheriffs are doing a better job of keeping the DumbA$$es out but it still a zoo.

The Sheriffs crack down on no helmets,riders, flags and when the pull you over they will check for spark arrestor. They travel on Honda quads and Yamaha bikes. They are good guys doing a tuff job!

It will get hot in the summer and the OUTHOUSES SUCK!!!!!!!

Have fun and LOCK your quads up

Old 05-07-2003, 05:08 PM
Pro Rider

i think i'll be there 17th & 18th look for a guy on a blue GasGas quad (should be here monday or tuesday)... i'm doing break-in & testing so no racing for me.

Old 05-08-2003, 12:35 PM
Elite Pro Rider

We won't be going until the weekend after Memorial Day weekend.

Quick Reply: Planning trip to dunes at Moses Lake......????