Family ATVing Photos Post photos of yourself, family and friends on the trail.

Paiute Trail, Utah

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 02:34 PM
Dune Rider
Which one of you is Pink?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Moose where are those pics of your recent ride to Moosehead Lake?
I like pics of trees for obvious reasons!
I love pics above the tree line too since riding at home is 2800 to 2950.
It's not far away for me to get into the mountains, it just seems to be a matter
of getting out the driveway. (monumental task)
I did get a chance to see your vids Moose. Sweet. Mud! oh my and more Mud!
(foreign matter) I have one pic of my 4x4 quad with a very small amount of mud on
it. The mountains are a stark contrast from the sandbox in the back yard.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:35 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
If things work out, you can be sure we'll come out for a visit someday!
Thanks again Moose and I hope that day comes. I would enjoy that a lot.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:35 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Magnificent pictures Specta!

I'll be sure to check Doug's blog through your link. Thanks for sharing!

Old 08-31-2010, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by DuneDragin
Moose where are those pics of your recent ride to Moosehead Lake?
I like pics of trees for obvious reasons!
I love pics above the tree line too since riding at home is 2800 to 2950.
It's not far away for me to get into the mountains, it just seems to be a matter
of getting out the driveway. (monumental task)
I did get a chance to see your vids Moose. Sweet. Mud! oh my and more Mud!
(foreign matter) I have one pic of my 4x4 quad with a very small amount of mud on
it. The mountains are a stark contrast from the sandbox in the back yard.
Honestly DD I can't find the thread I started. Had some pics of my son at the US/Canadian border with our quads, pics of some moose we saw. I tried looking in the threads I started but didn't find it and couldn't find it with searches???

Old 08-31-2010, 07:07 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talk about a dream area! WOW!

Old 09-01-2010, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

8-18-2010
Twitchell Canyon Fire

There’s been a fire burning and we heard that it was getting closer to the last place we rode (previous set of pictures, trail #1045) so we
thought we had better go back and see just how close it was. Downloaded the map from the forest service and it was close to where we rode.

I met Doug here, it’s the same distance for both of us.

This was the day Doug’s r/f axle started making noise so I followed him.

These helicopters were built back in 1966-67 and are worth $30 million each, they cost $7500 pr/hr and they were using 3 of them. $90 million
in the air at $180,000 per day.

Base camp for some of the fire fighters in Sevier Canyon.

We met up with three of the fire fighters, two of them with the forest service and one with the Utah Forestry, Fire and State Lands.

They told us the trail we came up was being closed off as we were there chatting with them.

I caught two choppers passing by each other.

You can see Mt Baldy in the back ground.

They ride Honda’s.

FLAMES!!

Just a neat looking cloud, can you see the face in it??

Here’s one of the choppers dumping water on the fire. They suck up 2000 gallons
in 45 seconds… and the tank opens opens like bomb bay doors when it drops the load.
Interesting how it works, there is actually a big prop in the red end of the hose, and there
is hydraulic lines running down through the center of the hose to a hydraulic motor that spins the prop.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider

After checking out the fire we hit trail 1095 on our way home.

Just a couple of videos and a few pictures. This trail dead ends and you have to come back out the way you came in. It too is one of my favorites. How many favorites can you have??

Trail Video #75

Trail Video #77

Trail Video #78

And a few rare photos of me on the other end of the camera. LOL

All in all we had a nice ride other than we really don't like the fire.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Nice pics and videos, Specta. My wife, son, and I went for a ride a couple years ago when there was a bit of a drought like we have right now up this way. We were going out through an area and I thought I smelled smoke. We stopped and could smell and even see smoke in the sunlight filtering down through the trees, but couldn't find the fire. So, we went off to a favorite stop and had lunch. On the way we saw a couple volunteer firefighters doing some surveying for one of the area towns. We told them we had smelled smoke and showed him on the map. We got back to the area and the smoke was heavier. My son saw a small flame just above us on a ten foot rise. We got cooler after cooler of water from a nearby stream and it was still burning. My son went to a spot with cell coverage and called the local fire department. I ended up finding them looking for us and led them back to the fire. 3 towns ended up there with about 6 guys total with spraying equipment. I felt bad as the fire was only about 8x10 or so and 2 feet deep. They said they were glad we saw it and called them because they all felt it could have turned into a major blaze that they would have had to fight for several days. The most idiotic part of the whole thing was that someone made a fire ring out of rocks on top of about 2 feet of pine needles. Must have thought they had it out and took off. When we got there it had burned downward almost 18 inches and was 2 feet down by the time the firemen got there. Watch what you do with your fires everybody. What Specta saw and what we dealt with are usually preventable.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:06 PM
Pro Rider

I'm glad it was you that went for a ride that day and not someone else, sad but some folks wouldn't have taken the time to hunt down the fire let alone try to put is out and call for help.

That fire was started by lightning July 20th and the Forest Service told me that as long as it burned to the south they would let it burn and it's been moving north and they continue to let it burn. One of the fire fighters told us that the Forest Service was capable of putting it out any time but choose not to, even though it threatens private property and old historic mining structures. So far it's burned 4,700 acres. They are going to let the snow put the fire out.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:47 PM
Dune Rider
Which one of you is Pink?

When does the snow usually start Specta?

Quick Reply: Paiute Trail, Utah